Mazda 6 DPF diesel estate - Crankcase pressure - Linux
Hi I hope you can help me. I have a Mazda 6 2007 Diesel (DPF) estate and I have recently noticed a oil leak from the cam cover the Gasket seems okay. I think it might be due to pressure in the cam cover how do I check the engine breather (PCV) is working correctly.

Many Thanks Alan.
Mazda 6 DPF diesel estate - Crankcase pressure - galileo

Oil leaks from the cam (or rather, rocker shaft) cover more or less came as standard with many 1950s/1960s cars after a few years. With the engine running and the oil filler cap off, any excessive fumes should be visible or felt if you put a hand over the filler hole.

Mazda 6 DPF diesel estate - Crankcase pressure - Collos25

Cars are not vented to air anymore all fumes go through the EGR/exhaust.If you have a leak on your cam cover its not the end of the earth and easily rectified.

Mazda 6 DPF diesel estate - Crankcase pressure - TeeCee

They haven't been vented to air for many years. Crankcase breathers have vented into the inlet manifold since the sixties at least, usually via a vacuum operated diaphragm valve sat on top of the manifold.

The EGR valve is just a fancy way of precisely controlling when and how much is recirculated and also allowing controlled venting into the inlet tract upstream of the blower on forced induction engines.

Mazda 6 DPF diesel estate - Crankcase pressure - madf

They haven't been vented to air for many years. Crankcase breathers have vented into the inlet manifold since the sixties at least, usually via a vacuum operated diaphragm valve sat on top of the manifold.

The EGR valve is just a fancy way of precisely controlling when and how much is recirculated and also allowing controlled venting into the inlet tract upstream of the blower on forced induction engines.

err EGR valves are all about Exhaust Gas Recirculation...

Mazda 6 DPF diesel estate - Crankcase pressure - Collos25

The crankcase breather runs into the pipe that is connected to the air recirculating system which includes in its path the EGR.The air from the crankcase breather is either recirculated into the engine or burnt in the DPF have a look at your own system and learn befor you critise.

Mazda 6 DPF diesel estate - Crankcase pressure - jc2

Diesels being an excess air engine do not normally have a PCV valve;they just feed the fumes into some part of the intake system.PCV(or similar-sometimes just an orifice) are used on gasoline engines to control the flow into the engine.

Mazda 6 DPF diesel estate - Crankcase pressure - bathtub tom

No-one's yet managed to answer the OP's question.

If it were mine, I'd find a pipe from the rocker/cam cover to the inlet manifold. I'd disconnect it at the cover end and with the engine running see if it's blowing any fumes. I'd ensure the hole in the cover's clear and also the pipe to the manifold. I'd also ensure all the fixings holding the cover down were tight.

Mazda 6 DPF diesel estate - Crankcase pressure - jc2

A diesel will always blow fumes into the intake system-frequently via the rocker cover-it's how they ventilate the crankcase.Mind you, if the volume is excessive,it could cause problems but then you'd also have other problems which are causing the excessive blow-by.

Mazda 6 DPF diesel estate - Crankcase pressure - unthrottled

Modern diesels do have their own version of a PCV valve used in throttled engines; it's called the Crankcase Pressure Regulator. It operates on the tiny pressure drop between the air filter and the compressor inlet. It's possible that the CPR has become clogged and isn't opening, allowing pressure to build in the crankcase. It might be worth taking the CPR off and carefully cleaning it. 'Carefully' is the operative word, the diaphragm is easily damaged by caustic materials or careless handling.

Mazda 6 DPF diesel estate - Crankcase pressure - Linux

Hi many thanks for your reply. Could you tell me were the CPR is located.

Mazda 6 DPF diesel estate - Crankcase pressure - unthrottled

Just follow the breather hose back from where it joins the air intake until you come to a junction. The valve will be in the housing.