Astra Self Unlocking - Hew Jamsandwich
I have a 2001 Astra Club with remote central locking. Three weeks ago I was sitting in it in a car park, engine off, doors unlocked and two of them open, when the driver of a Merc in the next bay approached his car and unlocked it with a remote; my car locked. Last week my Astra was parked on the drive of someone's house, locked and with the key in my possession, when it was noticed that it had unlocked itself, accompanied by the usual flashing of the indicators. No other cars were near. I thought that such things were impossible, especially twice in three weeks; any ideas?
Astra Self Unlocking - Dave_TD
Is it possible you could have accidentally pressed the key fob while it was in your pocket? I know I can unlock my mobile phone and switch it off (3 key-presses in the correct order!) just by walking down the street with it in my trouser pocket.
Astra Self Unlocking - Hew Jamsandwich
No, the first time the key was in the ignition and the second time it was in my jacket that was hanging up.

Incidentally, on the subject of mobiles, I have been doubly scrupulous in checking that my mobile keypad is locked before putting it in my pocket since I found that I had unknowingly made a 999 call. Yet I now find that because of some obscure and as usual idiotic European requirement, the phone is designed to bypass the keypad lock for 999-Send.
Astra Self Unlocking - HF
>>I found that I had unknowingly made
a 999 call. Yet I now find that because of
some obscure and as usual idiotic European requirement, the phone is
designed to bypass the keypad lock for 999-Send.

>>

I don't find that idiotic, it's there for emergency reasons! Same as the way that 999 calls are free from public phones, and they're free on PAYG mobiles even if you have no credit. There's a good reason for this - if you were in a real emergency, it would be a hell of a lot quicker to just dial 999, rather than go through the unlocking your keypad mallarky before you can do anything. Imagine a REAL emergency - surely this could save a few precious seconds?!
HF
Astra Self Unlocking - Dynamic Dave
HF,

In this day and age, if you were lying there unconcious, you're more than likely to have your phone nicked than anyone coming to your rescue. (continue on email, not here if you want) To quote NoDosh-AOL "Look out Mark's coming, start talking motoring" :o)
Astra Self Unlocking - HF
DD, I know that, and it's a sad indication of how society's going.

However, I DID mean what I said in a motoring-related way, actually - if I wasn't unconscious, but could just about get to my phone, the last thing I'd be able to do would be to key in codes, a simple 999 would be much quicker and easier.

The fact that phones tend to dial 999 all by themselves, rather than any other number, is a mystery which I have yet to explain.
HF
Astra Self Unlocking - Dynamic Dave
AFAIA, Vauxhall use a rolling code system to stop anyone "grabbing" the signal from your key remote and in turn unlocking your car. Everytime you lock/unlock the car the code will change. Not sure how a Merc managed to lock your car whilst unlocking his. I see in your reply to Dave The taxi that your car also unlocked itself while your keys were in your jacket pocket.
1st thing I would suggest is to remove the battery from the key you would normally use and put the key to one side somewhere and use your spare key instead for a little while to see if it still happens. There may be an intermitant fault with the buttons on main key you always use. When you get around to putting the battery back in the remote, you'll have to reprogram it. Details are in the handbook. It's an easy proceedure though.