Steps for using petrol station jet wash - New owner
I am a new car owner and unsure about the steps involved in cleaning a car using petrol station self service jet wash machine. Can anyone advise if which petrol stations - Tesco, BP etc have decent jet wash machines and what should be the sequence of the steps to get it done without damaging the paintwork? What do I need to carry from home and what is available there?
Steps for using petrol station jet wash - mcb100
Find a reputable local detailer and have a ceramic coating applied to your car from new. Don’t pay the dealer for their paint protection - horribly over priced.
With a good ceramic coating, water, with dirt and grime, will run off lessening the need to wash it.
Steps for using petrol station jet wash - Xileno

If you have the facilities to wash it at home then that is preferable in my view. I am far from convinced these jet washes are good for the car, the pressure of the water is likely to force damp into places where it would not normally get (behind trim, lights etc)

I have a Karcher but rarely use it and even then only on selective areas. This summer I intend using it to clean both subframes on my old Focus before spraying some anti-corrosion stuff around, probably Lanoguard.

If you can't clean the car at home (no driveway) then I would take it to one of those hand-wash places in preference to a jet wash.

But if you want to use the jet wash you don't need to take anything apart from means of payment. The last time I used one (probably 30 years ago) you bought a token from the cashier. Technology may have moved on though. Don't go in your Sunday best and wellies might be sensible.

Steps for using petrol station jet wash - New owner
I don’t have a garden hose connection point outside the house. I guess I will have to use bucket(s). What are the steps? What all do I need to buy?

How often does one need to clean just from paint protection point of view? The car is a hatchback Clio bought on PCP and I just want to spend enough to keep it clean when I return or part exchange after 2 years. So not looking for an expensive detailing. Something quick and easy on pocket.
Steps for using petrol station jet wash - Falkirk Bairn

If the car is really dirty

Garage spray wash, wheels then body - do not use the brush on paintwork

Takes 90% off

Then @Home

Watering can rinse

Bucket of water sponge / mit and shampoo

Rinse with watering can

Dry off with micro fibre towel, open doors & boot and let them drip, wipe with cloth.

Dyson to hoover floor mats.

If car is not dirty I miss the out the garage power wash and just use watering cans to wet the car - easier to wash the car after a good downpour

Steps for using petrol station jet wash - London calling

Isn’t the pressure adjustable on Karcher jet wash?

Don't know. It may be on some of the more expensive models but not my old cheap one.

Steps for using petrol station jet wash - focussed

Don't know. It may be on some of the more expensive models but not my old cheap one.

I have a €39 mains electric pressure washer from our local Lidl that has an adjustable spray nozzle and an additional rotary nozzle.

I use it to avoid having to crank up my 3hp petrol powered Karcher for just a quick once over wash in winter.

Steps for using petrol station jet wash - RT
Find a reputable local detailer and have a ceramic coating applied to your car from new. Don’t pay the dealer for their paint protection - horribly over priced. With a good ceramic coating, water, with dirt and grime, will run off lessening the need to wash it.

+++++ I had my then new VW detailed and ceramic coated by a local valeter - he has subsequently washed/waxed the car every couple of months and we are both amazed at the quality some 8+ years later - all the more amazing as it does light off-roading and get taken down lanes where the vegetation is touching both sides.

Every jet wash I’ve seen in the past few years has a series of buttons to select the different functions.
Some take contactless payment, some cash, and you buy time. £1 for 2 minutes, or whatever. Just use the functions in the order they are on the machine and you can’t go wrong. If you run out of time before you’ve finished rinsing, put another £1 in.
Or do what I do and give £7 to a hand car wash crew and sit in it whilst they do the work.
Steps for using petrol station jet wash - Adampr

My car normally gets washed when it goes in for a service and occasionally at a local hand carwash. I normally pay with cash including coins for a tip because the guys doing it don't exactly have the best working conditions.

For me, it's quicker, drier and better than doing it myself using any means.

Some people like to give their car a proper wash themselves. A lot use the two bucket method; others involve even more buckets and products.

www.parkers.co.uk/car-advice/car-care/double-bucke.../

Steps for using petrol station jet wash - badbusdriver

I don’t have a garden hose connection point outside the house. I guess I will have to use bucket(s). What are the steps? What all do I need to buy?

How often does one need to clean just from paint protection point of view? The car is a hatchback Clio bought on PCP and I just want to spend enough to keep it clean when I return or part exchange after 2 years. So not looking for an expensive detailing. Something quick and easy on pocket.

Contrary to what some think, and presumably sacrilege to some on the forum, for the most part you don't actually need to wash a car. With a couple of exceptions like bird poo (which will eat into the paint surface) and salt encrusted winter road grime, a layer of dirt will do the car no harm at all. It also doesn't turn to cement if you don't wash it off within a certain time, i.e, giving at a good wash before you hand the car back won't be noticeably harder than doing it once a month. An argument could actually be made that a layer of road grime will actually protect the paint surface!

But, a couple of other points. You say you don't have an outside tap, do you have a front facing kitchen or bathroom window?. If so, and assuming you are not in a flat many floors up!, a hose could be attached to the tap and ran out through the window. If that still not doable, you can buy cordless, (rechargeable) battery powered power washers. You plonk the intake in a big bucket of water and crack on!.

Steps for using petrol station jet wash - John F

As the owner of ancient cars I contend the best way to protect the paintwork is to wash it with plain water and a large soft rag (e.g. oldT-shirt) then apply a good quality wax. Then leave it alone for as long as possible. Any further cleaning just use plenty of water and the rag. No enthusiastic rubbing. No detergent. Usually only waist high rinses are needed, especially in winter. I (turtle)wax only every couple of years or so - it's pricey, but a little goes a long way so it's worth it. Apparently sahara dust is on its way - can't think of a better way of destroying the shine on bonnet and roof if rubbed in with a rag.

Steps for using petrol station jet wash - Andrew-T

My 16-year-old car has spent every day of its life in the open, and if I have time to waste I give it a wipe-over after a heavy shower. One thing I don't like to see is an accumulation of green stuff round windows or door shuts. The best treatment I have found for that is an old toothbrush which can get into all the crooks and nannies. I don't know whether a carwash will shift it, as I have never used one :-)

Steps for using petrol station jet wash - De Sisti

One thing I don't like to see is an accumulation of green stuff round windows or door shuts. The best treatment I have found for that is an old toothbrush which can get into all the crooks and nannies. I don't know whether a carwash will shift it, as I have never used one :-)

I squirt on some malt vinegar* to get rid of that stuff to get rid of that stuff.

*Also a cheap and effective way to get rid of garden / paving slab weeds.

Edited by De Sisti on 27/01/2024 at 19:28

A solution of dishwasher or washing laundry powder also works. With hot water and a clean fairly soft paint brush . I don't let it sit on the paint for long just in case. Rinse thoroughly with a hose. Done two or three times a year as part of a standard clean the rubbers on the old Focus look like new.

Steps for using petrol station jet wash - bathtub tom

I don't jet wash my cars (except for the fifty quid KIA that used to get covered in mud on trials). I've seen damaged bearings and wet floors where the power of the water has got past the seals.

Surprisingly, I find myself in agreement with John f. I use a soft bristle brush on the end of a hose. I did once polish and wax my car a few years ago and the water still beads when clean. While the hose is out I'll give the undersides a good rinsing - the MOT tester appreciates that.

‘ I'll give the undersides a good rinsing - the MOT tester appreciates that.’

But don’t jet wash a car then take it straight to the MOT station next door, as I did once.
I spent 40 minutes listening as he grumbled about how he was getting wet as the car dripped on him and his pristine MOT bay floor.
It gets its annual wash the day before now.
Steps for using petrol station jet wash - 72 dudes
Every jet wash I’ve seen in the past few years has a series of buttons to select the different functions. Some take contactless payment, some cash, and you buy time. £1 for 2 minutes, or whatever. Just use the functions in the order they are on the machine and you can’t go wrong. If you run out of time before you’ve finished rinsing, put another £1 in. Or do what I do and give £7 to a hand car wash crew and sit in it whilst they do the work.

£7?? Cheapest is £15 round here!

And they're not referred to as Scratch and Shine for nothing.

Steps for using petrol station jet wash - corax
£7?? Cheapest is £15 round here!

And they're not referred to as Scratch and Shine for nothing.

I do my car myself. Two or three times a year usually in winter. I don't need scratches from a cleaning squad, that's what the hedges are for, when someone coming the opposite way decides that 3 foot away from their side of the road is OK.

Steps for using petrol station jet wash - paul 1963

I'm a bit of an obsessive car cleaner, my car gets a wash once a fortnight throughout the year, takes under a hour, I always use aquawax after rinsing and before drying, couple of sprays per panel, dry car then buff.

Couple of times a year it gets a proper going over, decontamination of the paint using a fall out remover followed by clay bar,polish,seal and wax, takes a day but in my mind its worth it.

Only time I use a garage jet wash is to clean off the underside and suspension, most of these places recycle the majority of the water and hence is filthy.

No way would I ever use a scratch and shine place or indeed a bit of old rag to clean it.

Surprised as we're all 'car guys' that more of you don't take more care tbh....

Steps for using petrol station jet wash - argybargy

I used to be a regular at a local jet wash before we moved house back in 2022. Probably TOO regular, although it didn't seem to do the car any obvious harm.

I now wash the car with a bucket, sponge and some AA branded car shampoo every couple of weeks, then rinse and dry it with a chammy leather, and it's a regime which keeps the 11 year old bodywork looking absolutely superb.

The only time I'd ever use a jet wash again is in the unlikely event that the car had an encounter with serious quantities of mud.