Any - Advice on a reliable 55+mpg £10k - Tony Libby

Hi

I'm looking for a MPV or estate, I can do up to 700 miles a week and my budget is £10k max.

Is there an engine that really stands out for reliability?

What I've looked at so far on auto trader only.

Mercedes B180 1.8cdi around the 2013-14 year

Mazda 6 2.2D state 2016

Kia Carnen's 1.7crdi 2015

BMW 2 1.5 active tourer

Skoda Octavia 1.6tdr 2015

Peugeot 308 SW 2.0 BlueHDI 150 GT 2016

Peugeot 508 1.6 BlueHDI 120 2015

Ford grand C-max 1.6 tdci 2014

Any advice in this mine field is much appreciated.

Any - Advice on a reliable 55+mpg £10k - Adampr

It's neither an estate nor an MPV, but I would suggest a Honda CR-V with the 2.2 diesel engine. It's an exceptionally good engine in every way. Also available in the FR-V, which is an MPV but probably too old.

Of your list, I'd probably go for the Skoda and definitely avoid the Mazda. Merc B classes are always cheap, which makes me think there's something wrong with them that I don't know about.

I'm pretty sure the BMW is a PHEV, so won't get anywhere close to the economy you're after unless your 700 miles is less than 50 miles between charges.

Edited by Adampr on 18/03/2023 at 00:09

Any - Advice on a reliable 55+mpg £10k - Ana William

When it comes to reliability, there are a few engines that are known for their dependability:

1. Toyota 1.8-litre hybrid: This engine is known for its fuel efficiency and reliability, making it a great choice for those who do a lot of miles.

2. Honda 1.6-litre i-DTEC: Honda is known for making reliable engines, and the i-DTEC is no exception. It's fuel-efficient and has low emissions, making it a good choice for those who want to keep running costs down.

3. Mazda SKYACTIV: Mazda's SKYACTIV engines are designed to be efficient and reliable. They use advanced technology to reduce emissions and increase fuel efficiency, while also providing good performance.

Of the models you listed, the Mazda 6 2.2D estate and the Skoda Octavia 1.6 TDI are both available with reliable engines. The Mazda 6 is known for its strong performance and fuel economy, while the Octavia is practical and comfortable.

It's always a good idea to research each specific model and engine thoroughly, as well as read reviews and talk to other owners, to get an idea of their reliability and suitability for your needs.

Any - Advice on a reliable 55+mpg £10k - badbusdriver

Hi

I'm looking for a MPV or estate, I can do up to 700 miles a week and my budget is £10k max.

Is there an engine that really stands out for reliability?

Your requirements have the Honda Civic Tourer 1.6 I-DTEC written all over them. I would take one over any of your choices. Excellent economy, plenty of space and the 1.6 I-DTEC is one of only a few modern diesel engines not to give much problems if used for short journeys. I'm assuming by your 700 miles per week that this won]t be what you will be doing(!), but when buying used you could end up with something just about to have a very expensive failure due to previous owners having only used it for short journeys. So it is important.

Out of your choices, definitely avoid anything with the Mazda 2.2 diesel engine. It has a pretty terrible reputation for failures and while this does seem to be centred on cars used for short journeys, how would you determine how a potential buy has been used by previous owners?.

The 1.6 used in the Octavia, along with other VAG brands, is the engine at the centre of the diesegate scandal and there are plenty of owners out there suffering from the supposed 'fix'. So I would be reluctant to go there, but the 2.0 is worth a look.

The 1.6 in the 508 and Grand C Max is the same engine, and does have something of a reputation. Having done some research, it does seem that with diligent servicing they can be very reliable. But a different story if service intervals are left too long and the oil used is not of the correct type.

The 2.0 in the 308 seems to be a stronger engine so less to worry about.

The B Class and Active Tourer?. I'd put them both in the same boat. Your budget will get an older car and/or with bigger miles because you are paying extra for the badge rather than a better or more reliable car. While nether are terrible, neither are great either, so I wouldn't bother.

The Kia Carens is a decent enough engine and car. But there are quite a few other Hyundai/Kia (same company) models which would probably suit your usage better due to better aerodynamics giving better mpg at motorway speeds. Look at the estate versions of the Hyundai i30 and i40 along with the Kia Ceed and Optima.

I'm also curious about just how much space you need?. The boot capacity of the Merc B Class and BMW Active Tourer are fine but not what you'd call massive (like an Octavia), they are around the same as a Honda Civic hatchback. I'm asking because if a Civic hatchback has enough space, there are much more of them than the estate (tourer) version.

Any - Advice on a reliable 55+mpg £10k - catsdad

I agree about the Civic old model hatchback. Boot is about 500litres plus the magic seats additional volume. When I had mine we went four up to the airport packed all cases etc. in the boot. At the other end we picked up an ostensibly bigger Octavia estate. Everything again went in the boot below the window line and the effective storage space was equal between the cars. Appearances can be deceptive on boot space.

Any - Advice on a reliable 55+mpg £10k - Steveieb

Would welcome your views on Volvo V70 D5 Estate around this price would buy a 60 plate car.
Are they known for trouble free motoring including the emissions stuff and injectors ?

Any - Advice on a reliable 55+mpg £10k - Adampr

The Volvo D5 is pretty well thought of.

Thanks bbd

To answer your boot space question, I have 2 young kids live down in SW so packing the boot and getting down to the beach or out and about in summer is 1 reason but also I need to fit 2 meter ladders down the one side without encroaching into the passenger side or gear stick area.

I really only looked at Merc and BMW thinking German reliability, maybe that's my old thinking of the Merc and BMW's of yester year, so if its a badge I'd be paying for now I'd soon not, and put that money to a more reliable make what ever that might be, I'm not impressed by a badge, so thanks for that tip ??

Edited by Tony Libby on 18/03/2023 at 19:46

Any - Advice on a reliable 55+mpg £10k - badbusdriver

also I need to fit 2 meter ladders down the one side without encroaching into the passenger side or gear stick area.

Not sure what you mean by this, but I have done some research and the load space length for the Civic Tourer with rear seats upright is 990mm, and 1815mm with them folded. So I'd imagine you could fit a 2 meter ladder on its side diagonally.

I really only looked at Merc and BMW thinking German reliability, maybe that's my old thinking of the Merc and BMW's of yester year, so if its a badge I'd be paying for now I'd soon not, and put that money to a more reliable make what ever that might be, I'm not impressed by a badge, so thanks for that tip ??

There are good and bad ones, as with most makes, but the point is that they are not really any better than anything else. If you look at reliability surveys you won't find BMW or Merc at the top (though they are not down at the bottom with Land Rover/Range Rover!).

While there are exceptions, the most reliable cars are generally Japanese.

Also re the 1.6 used in the 508 and Grand C Max, as well as other Peugeot's and Ford's, you will also find it in various Citroen and Volvo models.

Edited by badbusdriver on 18/03/2023 at 20:29

Any - Advice on a reliable 55+mpg £10k - Engineer Andy
Also re the 1.6 used in the 508 and Grand C Max, as well as other Peugeot's and Ford's, you will also find it in various Citroen and Volvo models.

...and earlier (before about 2013 or so) Mazdas, as they were still tied to Fords with Volvo back then and used the jointly-developed PSA-Ford engine. Nice to drive (I had a hire Focus mk2 1.6TD for the day for work back in 2005) and economical as I recall. I almost bought a Mazda3 with that engine in it because I was doing 20+ miles each way to work back then - in the end I went for the 1.6 petrol instead.

The 1.6 TD did subsequently get the nickname 'diesel of doom', although I suspect some of the problems were (like with the 2.2TD used in Mazdas later) related to short trip usage as much as design flaws. Good idea for the OP to look up the Reviews section for older cars that used that engine.

My elderly neighbour has a 13yo Citroen C3 with that engine and it seems to be fine despite most of its usage being local.

An updated, 1.5 TD version replaced it.

When it comes to reliability, there are a few engines that are known for their dependability:

1. Toyota 1.8-litre hybrid: This engine is known for its fuel efficiency and reliability, making it a great choice for those who do a lot of miles.

Actually it doesn't unless those miles are in urban areas. Self-charging hybrids are by far at their best doing urban work, which is why most taxis are hybrids in urban areas and diesels in rural areas or when used on long routes like inter-city-airport work. They are very reliable I grant you. Not cheap to buy for the performance you get.

1. Honda 1.6-litre i-DTEC: Honda is known for making reliable engines, and the i-DTEC is no exception. It's fuel-efficient and has low emissions, making it a good choice for those who want to keep running costs down.

2. Mazda SKYACTIV: Mazda's SKYACTIV engines are designed to be efficient and reliable. They use advanced technology to reduce emissions and increase fuel efficiency, while also providing good performance.

On paper, perhaps, but in reality the Skyactiv-G 2L petrol is fine, but not spectacular in performance, reasonable on fuel, but reliable.

The 2.2L diesels can be good in terms of performance and reasonable on mpg, but are only reliable over the longer term if they are predominantly used on longer journeys throughout their life, and as such (likley not knowing how they werer previously driven [e.g. if that was mainly short trips from cold]) they aren't recommended due to possibly expensive reliability issues. They have a long, well documented history of DPF and oil dilution issues related to short journey (form cold) usage.

The Honda is a fine choice. Odd choice of words though Ana, sounds right out of the brouchure!

Of the models you listed, the Mazda 6 2.2D estate and the Skoda Octavia 1.6 TDI are both available with reliable engines. The Mazda 6 is known for its strong performance and fuel economy, while the Octavia is practical and comfortable.

See above for the Mazda. As a long-term (earlier non-SA petrol) Mazda car owner myself, I wouldn't recommend buying a second-hand SA-D diesel-engined one unless you know the car's entire usage (not just service) history, which is unlikely. I would've thought that the 2L TDi would be a better choice for a larger car like the Octavia from VAG.

It's always a good idea to research each specific model and engine thoroughly, as well as read reviews and talk to other owners, to get an idea of their reliability and suitability for your needs.

Indeed, though that's why they're asking us for our opinions.

Any - Advice on a reliable 55+mpg £10k - Rotin

My Prius+ easily gets 60 mpg, certainly around town and if not thrashed on the motorway.

Has 7 seats, the back row is only really for kids though, and loads of room when all folded.

Very easy to drive with hybrid / automatic power train.

First off like to say thank you for the replies, didn't expect so many so soon and thanks to everyone who mentioned Honda's and Civic estate, how the hell I managed to overlook this one in my search I don't know, I had a 52 plate type-r many years ago and one of the best engines of any car I've had. Honda should have been on my radar, but thanks all for bringing Honda back onto my radar and actually confirming that they are still excellent engine's.

Keep the advice coming

Edited by Tony Libby on 18/03/2023 at 19:47

Any - Advice on a reliable 55+mpg £10k - elekie&a/c doctor
Take a look at the Suzuki Vitara diesel. From 2015 it’s euro 6 with a Fiat engine. Think you’ll find the Mercedes 180d is the Renault engine.

First off like to say thank you for the replies, didn't expect so many so soon and thanks to everyone who mentioned Honda's and Civic estate, how the hell I managed to overlook this one in my search I don't know, I had a 52 plate type-r many years ago and one of the best engines of any car I've had. Honda should have been on my radar, but thanks all for bringing Honda back onto my radar and actually confirming that they are still excellent engine's.

Keep the advice coming

Yopu might want to consider the Seat Exeo ST or newer equivalent Leon ST (both estates) with the 2L TDI engine - the 1.6 might be fine (and in the Octavia), but it might be more relaxing using a biggere engine with more power / torque for long journeys, especially motorway driving or overtaking, plus they are still good on mpg.

Not that common though, but then similar VAG offerings from Audi, VW and Skoda are available with those engines, especially the 2L TDI.

The Honda 1.6TD seems to have a decent reputation for both reliabilty and performance. Always get a thorough test drive of whatever you initially choose as your 'final three', and don't rule out changing your mind after looking/ test driving any of them to go for others.

Best of luck.

Any - Advice on a reliable 55+mpg £10k - JonestHon

Is your 10k includes funds set aside for fixing stuff or is it your top limit for spending in one go?

To add to your list something which is not 55+mpg.

The Toyota 1.8 Valvematic petrol engine in the 2009-2019 Avensis estate will get you close to 50mpg fully loaded on a mixed motorway A roads journey and around 32mpg in town.

This is not far off diesel economy without the Diesel gabbing headaches when the car get old.

As an Avensis petrol owner I also noticed that tyres last far longer on this car than my previous diesel estates (2010 Cee'd and B5.5 Passat) with the same maintenance regime and budget.

You should be able to find a ten years old looked after example in your budget but I admit that they are not common.

Any - Advice on a reliable 55+mpg £10k - skidpan

£10000 should get you into a current model Skoda Superb 1.4 TSi 150 PS.

Ours was (as the name suggests) Superb. For your long journeys it will eat the miles but it won't drink petrol, on such runs ours did about 52 mpg (less than diesels we have owned but not by much) and with petrol being cheaper any difference in running costs are minimal. No DPF to worry about and if the car is earlier than mid 2018 (almost certain with your budget) it will not have a PPF either. The 150 PS engine has more than enough power, forget its only a 1.4 litre.

Other than the normal stuff only thing to check is cam belt change. Due at 5 years or 60,000 miles. If its not been done either walk away (would suggest to me a poorly maintained car) or allow about £500 to cover costs.

Any - Advice on a reliable 55+mpg £10k - JonestHon

£10000 should get you into a current model Skoda Superb 1.4 TSi 150 PS.

Ours was (as the name suggests) Superb. For your long journeys it will eat the miles but it won't drink petrol, on such runs ours did about 52 mpg (less than diesels we have owned but not by much) and with petrol being cheaper any difference in running costs are minimal. No DPF to worry about and if the car is earlier than mid 2018 (almost certain with your budget) it will not have a PPF either. The 150 PS engine has more than enough power, forget its only a 1.4 litre.

Other than the normal stuff only thing to check is cam belt change. Due at 5 years or 60,000 miles. If its not been done either walk away (would suggest to me a poorly maintained car) or allow about £500 to cover costs.

These Superbs Estates looks nice, seems like they offers a very versatile package, however I can't see a 1.4 TSI at your budget on the Trader, but there are some big V6 3.6 which I am certain very few people bought.

Any - Advice on a reliable 55+mpg £10k - Steveieb

The Avensis you suggest Jon seems a great choice.

SLO who was a major contributor to the site loves his estate version. The only expensive problem has been renewing the cat which I believe was over £1000.

But I’ve heard the rear hand brake servos can fail.

And what is the reliability of the auto box like ?

Any - Advice on a reliable 55+mpg £10k - SLO76
“ The only expensive problem has been renewing the cat which I believe was over £1000.”

Not quite so scary, it was £360 for an aftermarket cat. First one was faulty (or more likely, badly fitted) which set off an emissions warning light, among others. It was replaced foc, codes were reset and no further issues have been had. It’s now 13yrs old with just under 100,000 miles up and drives without fault. It’ll touch 50mpg on longer runs, has loads of room and is a brilliant budget family car, unlike any modern DPF equipped diesel Audi, Merc, BMW or Volvo for under £10k, especially at todays insane money.

If I were looking for a replacement I’d shortlist the Mazda 6 2.0 Skyactiv petrol estate, another Avensis 1.8 petrol and the Honda Civic 1.8 VTEC. The only diesel engine I’d consider would be Honda’s 1.6 DTEC, it’s the least likely to suffer reliability issues which are sadly all too common to modern diesels. The Civic is a great all rounder with this engine in particular, it goes great and will do 70mpg on a run. We’ve had it in a CRV (av 56mpg) and currently in swmbo’s HRV (65mpg approx) and to date neither has put a foot wrong, unlike the low mileage full dealer history D5 Volvo which preceded it.

Edited by SLO76 on 19/03/2023 at 22:16

Any - Advice on a reliable 55+mpg £10k - Heidfirst

actually the EPB brake actuator known to fail if they get water inside (worse in early cars, there was at least 1 revision to the unit). Like many things Avensis/Toyota in reality they are very rare but get mentioned because they are the most "common" for the model & also the high price to replace if they did go (Toyota tended to look leniently on claims & the price of the unit dropped a lot in later years). Other manufacturers would kill to have "common" failures that were in reality so uncommon ...

The Multidrive S (CVT) auto box is very reliable as long as the fluid is kept in good condition/ level. HJ's favourite version of the 1.8 drivetrain was the M-drive S.

I wouldn't pay more for an M-drive S but if you do a lot of urban work I can see why it could be preferred - the 1.8 Valvematic has very little torque at low rpms combined with quite a high clutch in the manual. It is quite common for people not used to them to stall (same with the same drivetrain in the Verso) until they become accustomed.

Edited by Heidfirst on 20/03/2023 at 00:15

Any - Advice on a reliable 55+mpg £10k - skidpan

These Superbs Estates looks nice, seems like they offers a very versatile package, however I can't see a 1.4 TSI at your budget on the Trader, but there are some big V6 3.6 which I am certain very few people bought.

There are indeed no estates but there are 3 hatches. When we bought our we planned on getting the estate but once we looked at hatch (with its 600+ litres of boot) we knew it was still big enough and saved £1000. The estate makes sense if you have large square boxes to but I the boot above the window line, if not consider the hatch.

The Toyota 1.8 Valvematic petrol engine in the 2009-2019 Avensis estate will get you close to 50mpg fully loaded on a mixed motorway A roads journey and around 32mpg in town

When we were changing the Focus C-Max 1.6 TDCi 110 PS back in 2010 we drove one of these thinking it should be great. Just over 140 PS was quite a bit more than the 110 PS C-Max could muster but we were very disappointed. The power was only there when you revved it above 4500, below that it was pretty flat. Made it tiresome to drive at A road speeds and overtake safely. Getting back into the 5 year old C-Max was like getting into a sports car.

The other thing to note about the Avensis is the stupidly located electric handbrake button. Instead of being on the console some half wit decided to put it on the dash behind the steering wheel. Having a salesman that knew nothing about the car did not help and we had never used an electric handbrake before, perhaps it worked like the excellent one fitted by VAG, we never found out.

Any - Advice on a reliable 55+mpg £10k - Heidfirst

The other thing to note about the Avensis is the stupidly located electric handbrake button. Instead of being on the console some half wit decided to put it on the dash behind the steering wheel. Having a salesman that knew nothing about the car did not help and we had never used an electric handbrake before, perhaps it worked like the excellent one fitted by VAG, we never found out.

It's certainly not the most convenient spot (perhaps deliberately?) but once you are familiar it beomes a non-issue.

Sadly, staff that don't really know the ins & outs of the vehicles that they are selling is all too common these days in many franchises. When I picked up my current (3rd) Avensis the "product specialist" who was meant to show the car/systems to me on hand over ended up asking if it would be OK in the future to 'phone me up to answer questions re. Avensis. I knew so much more about the car than he did ...

Edited by Heidfirst on 20/03/2023 at 17:39

Any - Advice on a reliable 55+mpg £10k - daveyK_UK
The Toyota Verso if you want pure reliability