2014 Audi A1 1.6 TDI - Judder at Low RPM - Someone in Yorkshire
Hi All

Long-time lurker, first-time poster!

I have a completely stock 2014 Audi A1 1.6 TDI. Recently, I have been getting a slight judder when cruising under light load at around 1200-1800 RPM. The engine pulls absolutely fine otherwise right up to the red line. It is almost the feeling you would get if the engine was starting to labour.

If I take my foot off the accelerator, the judder stops. If I accelerate, it also stops but pulls fine...seems to be present only when cruising along under light load at a constant speed.

An auto scan on VCDS revealed nothing. Engine is serviced regularly (by me) including filters.

What do I need to be looking at?

Edited by Someone in Yorkshire on 06/02/2023 at 15:31

2014 Audi A1 1.6 TDI - Judder at Low RPM - elekie&a/c doctor
Manual gearbox?
Manual gearbox?

Yes, manual five speed.
Do you get a rattle from the clutch / gearbox area at idle or when you switch off the engine?
Do you get a rattle from the clutch / gearbox area at idle or when you switch off the engine?

Slightly on start-up when it is cold or not driven for a few days. It shuts up pretty quickly, though. Other than that, no.
Could possibly be looking at a dmf issue.
2014 Audi A1 1.6 TDI - Judder at Low RPM - paul 1963

Worth checking the engine mounts, although as Doc says it could be the DMF, new dmf kit is around £250 ( pattern parts obviously!)

Edited by paul 1963 on 06/02/2023 at 20:20

2014 Audi A1 1.6 TDI - Judder at Low RPM - Big John

Agree it could be DMF but before you take the plunge check the simpler things such as engine mounts and diesel! I had something similar with my 1.9 pd Superb some time ago and I was considering things like DMF etc - but it went away when I filled up at a different garage!

EGR could have been a consideration - but it would have logged an error code.

Edited by Big John on 06/02/2023 at 21:00

Thank you all...I appreciate the helpful replies!

If it is a DMF issue, will it just get worse over time and noisy?
2014 Audi A1 1.6 TDI - Judder at Low RPM - paul 1963
Thank you all...I appreciate the helpful replies! If it is a DMF issue, will it just get worse over time and noisy?

Simple answer is yes I'm afraid......Worth getting it looked at sooner rather than later.

I just wanted to post an update, incase anyone comes across this thread and finds it useful.

It turns out the injectors were the issue. After running IDE06141 Adapting Injector Minimum Deviation Quantity on VCDS / VAG-COM, the juddering has gone and the engine seems to be running sweeter than ever.

I have no idea why this suddenly became an issue. No work has been carried out on the engine, but the adaptation has seemingly cured whatever the issue was.

See this page for steps on how to run the adaptation procedure correctly (post #11);

forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/7325/

Edited by Someone in Yorkshire on 15/02/2023 at 13:18