Toyota Corolla - Crank Sensor help - Chris Porter

Hi, I'm struggling with buying a replacement crank sensor for my 1999 Toyota Corolla (Petrol FWD -- _E11_1332cc 63KW 86HP 4E-FE) and am hoping someone may be able to advise me on finding the right part. On eBay using the 'My Garage' filter it initially brings up plenty of options but then when clicking through it mostly tells me it isn't compatible after all (a lot seem to be for models/engines ending in '4ZZ-FE' rather than 4E-FE). The part number of the sensor removed from my car is 90919-05019, and this only seems to be available without the cable attached (e.g.: this one), and I need the cable.

The link above (without cable) says it's for a Toyota Paseo, not Corolla, but it's the same part number. I'm confused about how specific the compatibility needs to be on these things and what features I definitely need to ensure are correct before buying, and which elements I don't need to worry about. There are plenty on Ebay that look just like the one taken from my car (although I've just started to notice that the metal cylinder on mine might be slightly thinner/more elongated than the ones pictured on Ebay etc.) I have tried online searches and various parts companies but haven't had any luck there either (I can find that part number, but not with the cable).

If anyone can offer any advice on this it would be really appreciated, thanks.

Toyota Corolla - Crank Sensor help - Crickleymal

Try partsouq partsouq.com/ sometimes you can order direct through them.

Toyota Corolla - Crank Sensor help - bathtub tom

I suggest you ask the appropriate forum of the Toyota owner's club.

Toyota Corolla - Crank Sensor help - Metropolis.
I would suggest popping into the local Toyota main dealer parts counter. Probably work out a similar price if going oem.
Toyota Corolla - Crank Sensor help - Adampr

The part number you've given is for a camshaft sensor. Presumably that's what you mean?

Anyway, stick your frame number in here and dig away.

toyota.epc-data.com/

Thanks for all these replies and suggestions, very helpful. As for it being a camshaft or crankshaft sensor - as you may have guessed I'm new to this so I'm just going off what my mechanic told me I need to order! (but yes, I see you are right that most of the searches of that part number describe it as a camshaft sensor, though some - confusingly - call it a crankshaft sensor)

Perhaps a stupid question, but is it possible that the same part can be used as either/both a camshaft sensor or/and a crankshaft sensor?

Toyota Corolla - Crank Sensor help - elekie&a/c doctor
Yes , it’s possible that both sensors are the same . There are some Renault/ Nissan models where the sensors are interchangeable.

Thanks very much, this takes away some of the doubt as I look for the right part.

Toyota Corolla - Crank Sensor help - Rerepo

You've got the wrong part number there my friend. There is no part on your car with that number. You need 90919-05018 which is the crank sensor for your engine.

Genuine Toyota part from Japan is about £64 plus post from Amayama

Thank you for this - yes you are right, it ends in 8 rather than 9 (my eyesight failing me!). Thanks also for the info on sourcing it from Japan, much appreciated.

After weeks of wild goose chases with various scrapyards and also Amayama (who a few weeks after ordering said they didn't have it after all), I received a crankshaft sensor from a scrapyard, and despite them assuring me it was part number 90919-05018, it is actually a 90919-05047. Having let them know, they insist it will work just the same and I should try it - the trouble it would cost me for the garage to try it (can't do it myself) and I'm quite doubtful about it.

I'm minded just to return it and wait until I can get the right part number, as I've already spent quite a bit since the problem first arose.

Before I do that, does anyone think this is even worth a try, or would it definitely not work?

Thanks in advance.

How do you know the crank sensor is faulty? Any tests carried out?

I don't for sure, I'm just trusting the judgement of the garage. Is that something I could do myself, if I get hold of something like a multimeter?

Thanks for this - something I really should have thought to do much earlier...

Does the engine run ? If it does, then it’s unlikely to be the crank sensor faulty.
Toyota Corolla - Crank Sensor help - bathtub tom
Does the engine run ? If it does, then it’s unlikely to be the crank sensor faulty.

I had an '03 Almera that started running rough with an EML. Fault code showed crank sensor, so i swapped it with the cam sensor (same part number). Fault code then changed to cam sensor. Cheap confirmation of faulty part. The engine still ran.

Yes, it was the starting that was the problem, but once started was fine. One night it just suddenly wouldn't start (had never had a problem in 9 years until then), though would start eventually after x number of attempts, but I wasn't sure if at some point the problem would get to the point where it wouldn't start at all. The garage at first said it was the fuel pump, so I bought another and that didn't fix it, which was when they said they think it's the crank sensor.

A friend of mine did say he thinks it needs fuel cleaner, but I took it to the garage to rule out anything more serious, and it's been there since.

Using the part number I found a number of aftermarket suppliers for this sensor. Amazon are showing it for £23.50 Free delivery (from China) in 2-3 weeks. Also available from US for less than £40 inc shipping and from Lithuania for £64 inc shipping.

Crankshaft Position Sensor 90919 05018 9091905018 Fit FOR Toyota Paseo Tercel 1.5l L4 Corolla OEM:90919-05018 car parts amzn.eu/d/5ldwfDR

Thank you for these, much appreciated.

Re - testing the crank sensor taken from my car - I have borrowed a multimeter, but can anyone advise on what I need to be looking for? i.e., what ohm setting to put it on, and what results I should get if it's functioning?

Not sure if your car is obd compatible, if it is , then it would be possible to pick up engine speed via the diagnostic socket. Checking the crank sensor directly, would ideally need an oscilloscope to check its output . Multi meter not really good enough.

Thank you for these, much appreciated.

Re - testing the crank sensor taken from my car - I have borrowed a multimeter, but can anyone advise on what I need to be looking for? i.e., what ohm setting to put it on, and what results I should get if it's functioning?

Quick look on Autodoc suggests lead length 360mm. Two pin oval connector. Sensor fitting depth 30mm. Sensor resistance 1.45k ohm.

Quick look on Autodoc suggests lead length 360mm. Two pin oval connector. Sensor fitting depth 30mm. Sensor resistance 1.45k ohm.

Thanks for this...