Can I connect speakers wirelessly to my TV? - badbusdriver

My TV is a fairly basic Bush around 10 years old. I have checked the rear and there is a USB port along with those colour coded circular ports (red, white and yellow). The TV itself is not Bluetooth (AFAIK).

I'm finding that if I'm watching it, often I can hardly hear parts where there is dialogue, so turn the volume up. But if there is then explosions, gunfire, etc, it is too loud. So I was wondering if it would be feasible to get some kind of speaker near where I sit?. I don't really want to run wires round the living room if I can help it, so I'm wondering if there is some means to connect a speaker wirelessly to the TV?. I will hopefully get a new TV within the next year, and I can manage the way it is, but just wondering if it was possible to improve things in the meantime.

Thanks in advance :-)

Can I connect speakers wirelessly to my TV? - Falkirk Bairn

Google

www.wirelesshack.org/how-to-connect-wireless-speak...l

Can I connect speakers wirelessly to my TV? - Ethan Edwards

Wouldn't you be better off with a soundbar? They usually have a Bluetooth subwoofer. You'll need to check what outputs your TV has looking for an optical one.

Wouldn't you be better off with a soundbar? They usually have a Bluetooth subwoofer. You'll need to check what outputs your TV has looking for an optical one.

Possibly Ethan, but I had assumed they needed to be positioned right in front of the TV?. And while the better quality of sound may help my particular complaint, I'd rather get smaller (cheaper!) speakers near to me. I don't want to spend any more than absolutely necessary at the moment because I may not need these solutions once I get a new TV.

And thanks for that link Falkirk Bairn. I know I could have looked up on the computer, but sometimes easier to speak to someone who has actually done it themselves!.

Can I connect speakers wirelessly to my TV? - bathtub tom

I use cordless headphones. It means I control the volume in my ear without affecting the TV volume. It also means I can listen to stuff I've recorded when cutting the grass, vacuuming etc.

Can I connect speakers wirelessly to my TV? - MGspannerman

For those of us of a certain age or if you have impaired hearing then it might be better as BT has in going the whole hog and having your own headphones. Unfortunately I have both characteristics and after a bout of Ramsay Hunt syndrome (I wont bore you with the detail, but it is very unpleasant) the hearing in my right ear was severely damaged. As ones hearing deteriorates typically the high notes go first and increasing the sound level as such may not sort the issue, in fact it can distort the sound more for the impaired listener I understand. More is not necessarily better.

I use an Avantree headset with a bluetooth transmitter. I think it cost me around £60. They are an American company but sell here in the UK and elsewhere as well. I believe you can buy just the transmitter and then hook it up to a speaker, but I am no expert. I do find that I increase/decrease the sound level when viewing but at least I can hear clearly. Also the family can listen at a level that suits them without being blasted out, my wife was forever complaining about the noise level when she entered the room.

I also have a ridiculously cheap pair of ear buds that I bought as an Amazon special, Beltone Bh-BT021 I believe, that I bought for about £12 one time. They are brilliant! I can watch TV/Youtube on a laptop/ipad without disturbing anybody else and they are great for travelling, working in the garden etc.

I am sure you can find similar on Amazon etc and maybe at a better price.

Can I connect speakers wirelessly to my TV? - mcb100
Another vote for a sound bar. The speaker quality contained within will be so much greater than that of the integral units within the TV.
If you’ve the volume up on the TV, speech will be getting distorted, making it harder to understand.
Or use subtitles, but they’re not great on live programmes and can give away punchlines when watching comedy…
With TV’s getting thinner, there’s less room for decent speakers, hence the increased use of sound bars. It’ll still be of benefit on a new TV.

Edited by mcb100 on 06/01/2022 at 18:44

Just to update, I got some Amazon vouchers at Christmas. So seeing as I wasn't paying for it, I decided to order a sound bar and give that a try. Wasn't a particularly expensive one (but had decent reviews), so fingers crossed it does what I want and if not, I'm not out of pocket!

Can I connect speakers wirelessly to my TV? - concrete

Just to update, I got some Amazon vouchers at Christmas. So seeing as I wasn't paying for it, I decided to order a sound bar and give that a try. Wasn't a particularly expensive one (but had decent reviews), so fingers crossed it does what I want and if not, I'm not out of pocket!

Hello BBD, I have a sound bar connected to my tv via an optical cable. The whole thing is really good. You can pay very little or lots. I cant remember what I paid for our Sony unit but it wasn't that much. Also I am a bit deaf now which resulted in arguments about the volume level so I bought some Avantree wireless headphones and connected to the tv via an optical cable too which means I can have volume level 18 on the headphones while others in the room can have volume 13 from the sound bar simultaneously. Very clever. Can even connect the headphones to my i phone. Some technology is really goos and useful.

Cheers Concrete