1997 Honda Accord - Tippex on the Timing Cover? - edlithgow

Wasn't that Tiny Tim?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcSlcNfThUA

Nah. Close but no bouquet. Doesn't scan.

Anyway, 185.5 is Tippexed on the timing cover. Dim and hard to read mileometer shows 220156 (km, presumably)

In the abscence of any service records, would you assume this was the kilometerage when it was changed?

I dunno if theres a convention for this, though if there is I suppose there is no guarantee that it was followed.

This is, unsurprisingly, an interference engine. If I ruled the world (or just California) these would be illegal, but I don't, so it isn't.

1998 US interval is 168k or 7 years so on a time basis it should have had 3 changes so far. The last one COULD have been the 3rd, but I bet it wasn't

Edited by edlithgow on 09/08/2020 at 06:16

1997 Honda Accord - Tippex on the Timing Cover? - galileo

You have to ask yourself one question. Do you feel lucky?

You have to ask yourself one question. Do you feel lucky?

Well, yeh.

But if you can't answer that question at least potentially in the affirmative, you don'r run an old Taiwanese Honda.

"The end of their useful life is somewhere between 120,000 and 200,000 kilometres, and it is an optimist who owns one after this. That’s why it’s rare to see a Honda taxi. "

1997 Honda Accord - Tippex on the Timing Cover? - Andrew-T

Of course it may have nothing to do with a cambelt change at all. Pug 205 petrol engines usually had a code number handwritten on the rocker cover, usually in white paint - not Tippex I think.

1997 Honda Accord - Tippex on the Timing Cover? - SLO76
The UK is a very different market but I’d normally suggest just running it til it dropped on such a low value car, it would cost more than it’s worth over here to change the timing belt and water pump. They’re not heavy on belts these anyway so it’s likely it’ll run for many years to come on what’s already there. Unless it’s particularly nice and has sentimental value I’d leave it alone.
1997 Honda Accord - Tippex on the Timing Cover? - Andrew-T
They’re not heavy on belts these anyway so it’s likely it’ll run for many years to come on what’s already there. Unless it’s particularly nice and has sentimental value I’d leave it alone.

Re cambelts - the Pug 306 I got a year ago (75K on the clock) had no record of a belt change in 12 years, and as the suggested life was 72K I assumed that the belt was probably 25 years old, so I got the seller to change it. So far, so good :-)

Unless it’s particularly nice and has sentimental value I’d leave it alone.

A welcome note of realism. Thanks

I'd guess that'd be true here too, although mechanics are cheaper.

I'm very cheap indeed, but getting parts isn't straightforward, since the trade is essentially a closed shop, plus my language limitation.

I'd feel a little guilt if it went bang avoidably, and don't absolutely rule out getting it done sometime, IF we end up getting,,,er...involved with this car. That'll likely depend on the GF's reaction to it, and me subsequently doing a fair bit of tinkering.

Otherwise its a disposable appliance, as they are allegedly designed to be.