On a lighter note... - Engineer Andy

Was I the only person to wake up today who didn't realise it was a Bank Holiday? TBH, I'm finding it hard to remember what day it is at the moment half the time, given one day seems very much like all the others. At least with the 'Clap for Carers' (no comment) on Thursdays I know which day it is once per week!

Maybe I should visit bored.com again.

On a lighter note... - Andrew-T

At least with the 'Clap for Carers' (no comment) on Thursdays I know which day it is once per week!.

Better not get too used to that, Andy - I read talk that it will cease fairly soon, the novelty has worn off.

On a lighter note... - Bromptonaut

Better not get too used to that, Andy - I read talk that it will cease fairly soon, the novelty has worn off.

Aware that at least one of the folks who started it has said 10 weeks (or however many it is) is enough. On the other hand it's very clear that my street is not the only on where it's provided the peg for socially distanced chatting etc.

On a lighter note... - groaver

Was I the only person to wake up today who didn't realise it was a Bank Holiday? TBH, I'm finding it hard to remember what day it is at the moment half the time, given one day seems very much like all the others. At least with the 'Clap for Carers' (no comment) ...

Jeez, as if they don't have enough problems as it is! ;-)

Was I the only person to wake up today who didn't realise it was a Bank Holiday? TBH, I'm finding it hard to remember what day it is at the moment half the time, given one day seems very much like all the others.

I remembered but TBH only because I should be taking advantage of the BH/Hols to spend a fortnight on the Isle of Harris and keep thinking of beaches, mountains, walks on the Machair etc.

And Farming Today gave me a cruel reminder this morning too:

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000jfqk

Focus on Crofting at Northton - one of the places I'd undoubtedly be visiting.

Even though I'm still working normal three days/week it's at home and sat at same PC I'm 'playing' on now. Regularly confused about why programme X isn't on the Radio and then I remember it's Friday not Saturday (or perm as appropriate).

Edited by Bromptonaut on 25/05/2020 at 15:47

On a lighter note... - gordonbennet

My work hasn't stopped, but as i work a rotating shift pattern which repeats itself every so many weeks i never know what day of the week it is anyway.

As it happens i am off today because it's an official rest day, i get a lieu day but it's worked out in my schedule throughout the year, the only two bank hols i get off whatever happens are Christmas Day and NYD, rota'd in Boxing Day again this year, no complaints, its part of the job, but as Andy says the day of the week means little any more, suits us because SWMBO is retired.

One job i used to have to go to work on Christmas Night, that was a little weird with the roads even quieter than the initial days of the current house arrest.

On a lighter note... - Engineer Andy

My work hasn't stopped, but as i work a rotating shift pattern which repeats itself every so many weeks i never know what day of the week it is anyway.

As it happens i am off today because it's an official rest day, i get a lieu day but it's worked out in my schedule throughout the year, the only two bank hols i get off whatever happens are Christmas Day and NYD, rota'd in Boxing Day again this year, no complaints, its part of the job, but as Andy says the day of the week means little any more, suits us because SWMBO is retired.

One job i used to have to go to work on Christmas Night, that was a little weird with the roads even quieter than the initial days of the current house arrest.

One year I was 'asked' to work over part of Christmas to carry out a test of some steam boiler equipment over at a hospital in West London. It actually gave me something to do on the two days after Boxing Day and also got 4 holidays in lieu of extra payment.

A rotating shift pattern to include weekends may be a useful way of firms and organisations catching up on lost time, given people can work (say) 1-2 days at home and 2-3 in the office, then swap over for colleagues to keep up the 'social' distancing in the office.

Things appear to have generally settled down, with problems slowly being resolved, worked around or ignored. I can't wait until the barbers re-open though - my haircut now resembles that of a 1970s-early 80s football player..

On a lighter note... - Joe-Alex

Was I the only person to wake up today who didn't realise it was a Bank Holiday? TBH, I'm finding it hard to remember what day it is at the moment half the time, given one day seems very much like all the others. At least with the 'Clap for Carers' (no comment) on Thursdays I know which day it is once per week!

Maybe I should visit bored.com again.

I didn't realise either. To be honest I'm kind of spinning my wheels at this point, waiting for uni to start up again in October ("mature" learner). I'm still coming to terms with the fact that May is almost over already.

On a lighter note... - concrete

Hear! Hear! Just had to work out an approaching birthday for my eldest. Losing track all right. I have been retired 6 years and this is the first time I truly feel 'retired'. I thought you were retired too Brompt or are you semi-retired? The clap for carers has been good in our road too, with distanced conversations going on for quite a while. All the neighbours have been great and we all shop for each other too. I have a 'video beer' with some of the lads from the pub via Whatsapp about 4 times a week. This is proving popular and we are all buying and trying different ales and beers and ciders and comparing notes. Won't be so bad when the pub re-opens, we shall all be up to speed with each other. Strange times indeed.

Cheers Concrete

I thought you were retired too Brompt or are you semi-retired? The clap for carers has been good in our road too, with distanced conversations going on for quite a while.

I took voluntary redundancy from the Civil Service in 2013 when the Quango I was latterly posted to went on David Cameron's Bonfire. Got immediate pension and did being retired for a year or so but got (a) bored and (b) under Mrs B's feet. Volunteering at Citizens Advice led to an offer of paid work in 2015 and I've done two or three days a week ever since.

Currently focused on Universal Credit so pretty busy.

We got to know our neighbours quite well when we moved in here in 1998. It was a new build so we all took up residence within a few weeks. Spent quite a lot of time comparing notes over problems with electrics, plumbing etc but that settled down. Still chatting amiably as/when in the road during summer but as kids grew up and flew nest less and less contact until now when the Carers thin or VE day provide an excuse to gather for a drink etc - it's always somebody's birthday, anniversary etc.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 26/05/2020 at 17:11

On a lighter note... - concrete

Very good. My cousin does a few days at a CAB too. Invaluable work to help out those who can be daunted by the system or are being fobbed off.

I expect your legal background was instrumental in your employment. Experience is a wonderful asset.

Cheers Concrete