Visibility at motorway exit roundabouts - martin.mc

Most exit roads from motorways and dual carriageways finish with a roundabout. The slip road usually meets the roundabout at an acute angle rather than 90 degrees, which means that drivers have to twist round in their seats and look over the shoulder to see traffic coming from the right. I have been driving since the mid 1970s and don't remember this being a problem in the past. Is it just me? I was considering one of those wide angle attachments for the door mirror.

Visibility at motorway exit roundabouts - catsdad
Isn't it deliberate to force drivers to slow down after (possibly) hours of high speeds? I know some of the roundabouts I use have hazel hurdles to restrict visibility unless you use a sensible speed. Otherwise people would keep tanking through at high speed.
Visibility at motorway exit roundabouts - gordonbennet

Maybe there's signs displaying rules all around planning offices, ''disrupt traffic flow at all costs''

Just to make roundabouts on dual carriageways much safer, not, they've taken to erecting fencing between the carriageways on the approaches, ensuring helpfully that you can't see if the roundabout is clear to aid normal progress.

Especially thoughtful planning by some pencil neck who probably rides a bicycle, forcing fully freighted trucks to come to almost a complete standstill and then have to lurch off at snails pace hoping and praying that billy whizz isn't coming the other way and going round the roundabout...indicators never used don't be silly...at some breakneck speed with the tyres almost pushed off the rims as said lorry is just getting out of first gear and blocking the road, resulting in evasive action and the inevitable hooting and gesticulating from billy.

And in case our truck driver might see over the roundabout, nope we thought of that one already, we've semi landscaped it and someone is paying us £££ to sponsor long overgrown shrubs so now no one at all can see anything coming till the last second, brilliant stuff chaps here have a knighthood and a golden pension.

Three cheers for planners.

Northamptonshire alone has many fine examples of this planning mentality, helping bring the county traffic ever closer to the grinding halt it's heading for.

Visibility at motorway exit roundabouts - Terry W

The alternative of course is to improve visibity from the slip road, noting that a slip road typically starts around 6-8m above or below roundabout level.

This means that some aspects may need to be re-engineered:

• if roundabout is below motorway, the raised carriageway will obscure a vehicle on the roundabout. One option would be to re-engineer the carriageway to elevate it on slim supports allowing a full view of the roundabout as you motor down the slip road
  • if roundabout is above the motorway we could lengthen the slip road so that for the final (say) 100m the slip road is level with or slightly above the roundabout thus improving visibility

Alternatively we could instal traffic light as already exists on many junctions althogh this also has the potential to slow down traffic.

Or perhaps some large red/green indicator lights visible from the slip road to indicate whether there are other vehicles on the roundabout (feasible but complex)

Other than the traffic light solution you would then be able to surge up the slip road, and go right or left at full bore on opposite lock if you so chose in complete safety!

Visibility at motorway exit roundabouts - bathtub tom

How about this for a nightmare junction: goo.gl/maps/C7QSUkh5URNDGM7d9

Joining the A1, Southbound at Little Paxton. It's a give way, at a left hand curve of the A1 with a stand of trees obstructing joining traffic's view of the A1!

Joining the A1, Southbound at Little Paxton. It's a give way, at a left hand curve of the A1 with a stand of trees obstructing joining traffic's view of the A1!

That ones a cracker BT, whenever possible i'm already in the outside lane at that point, cos as you can't see me till the last moment i can't see your either.

Visibility at motorway exit roundabouts - Manatee

I'm using that one quite a lot at the moment. I have given up on speed matching, you'd have to approach too fast and pull up very quickly if it wasn't safe to pull out, probably collecting the following car. I just treat it like a T junction, approach slowly, then unless it's clear stop and wait; foot down when a proper gap appears, at least as far as it's possible to see. Annoyed the hell out of a following black Audi driver last time but I wasn't doing it for his benefit.

Visibility at motorway exit roundabouts - bathtub tom

I've been fortunate to spot a lorry on the A1 when further back on the approach road. Knowing it will be doing slightly less than 60MPH I've managed to join at a decent speed just in front, although nearly came a cropper when someone was stopped at the end of the approach!

Nearly had another accident there, when I joined from a stop and accelerated hard to match other traffic. A Land Rover in the outside lane decided to take the next exit and, presumably, underestimated my acceleration, pulled left while still alongside!

Visibility at motorway exit roundabouts - focussed

In a similar vein, it cannot be coincidence that bus stops are installed in line with traffic islands can it? (''disrupt traffic flow at all costs'')

Visibility at motorway exit roundabouts - alan1302

In a similar vein, it cannot be coincidence that bus stops are installed in line with traffic islands can it? (''disrupt traffic flow at all costs'')

People get off bus, use traffic island to get across road...nothing about disrupting traffic flow. You look too deeply into things.

Visibility at motorway exit roundabouts - focussed

It's not a case of looking deeply, it's a case of sitting in the traffic queue behind the bus cursing that they built the bus stop opposite the traffic island.

Visibility at motorway exit roundabouts - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

It's not a case of looking deeply, it's a case of sitting in the traffic queue behind the bus cursing that they built the bus stop opposite the traffic island.

Selfish opinion. You could always drive on the rhs of the island, like some locals do.

Visibility at motorway exit roundabouts - alan1302

I'm sure your 30 seconds of wait must be very distressing for you...yet you didn't comment about the reason why the traffic island is there.

Visibility at motorway exit roundabouts - Andrew-T

Just to make roundabouts on dual carriageways much safer, not, they've taken to erecting fencing between the carriageways on the approaches, ensuring helpfully that you can't see if the roundabout is clear to aid normal progress.

That may be a bit cynical, GB. The fencing may be there to limit blinding by over-bright headlights raking every driver as they leave the roundabout. Pluses and minuses ?

But I agree that some roundabouts have very limited visibility often caused by excessive shrubbery in the centre or the approaches.

Visibility at motorway exit roundabouts - Bromptonaut

Northamptonshire alone has many fine examples of this planning mentality, helping bring the county traffic ever closer to the grinding halt it's heading for.

Like this one on Danes Camp Way?

goo.gl/maps/iffCJmKWjkj1ArJ48 ?

It's there because traffic coming up from M1/J15A was just steaming onto the roundabout endangering both traffic already on it and folks trying to join from the housing etc at Briar Hill.

It may be a PITA but there's a clear rationale.

Visibility at motorway exit roundabouts - Bilboman

Add to this myopic road "planning" the prevalence of left hand drive HGVs whose drivers have virtually no vision down the offside and it's a pile-up waiting to happen. (Cue the images on dashcam videos from indignant, holier-than-thou boy racers who show off their 0-60 time at every opportunity and are cut up by an "idiot" lorry driver who is begging to be filmed, sworn at and insulted for daring to be there...)

Visibility at motorway exit roundabouts - sammy1

A lot of the problem with Motorway roundabouts is they are shaped like a 400 metre running track. The longer straighter bits over the carriage ways allow vehicles to travel at excess speed which makes it difficult to join off the slip road coupled with the often bad angle of the slip road. Traffic lights and baffle fencing is a sound idea and in general where would we be without proper management as the roads in places barely cope.

Visibility at motorway exit roundabouts - Engineer Andy

Many roundabout now have, as an option to fencing, significant amounts of bushes and/or trees that completely block the view of oncoming traffic to what's on the roundabout. I suspect that the planners' reasoning is that this will help stop people who don't or barely slow down at roundabouts.

The trouble is, most of these people who do that still do. Given they cannot see anything, they are likely to not slow down at all because they see a vehicle.

Visibility at motorway exit roundabouts - corax

The problem with putting shrubs and trees in these areas is that it is all part of the program when building the intersection, but the maintenance aspect is then forgotten or neglected. Even if it is carried out, there is dangerous access for the team and an ongoing cost that won't go away, plants don't stop growing.

I'd rather see wider tree margins on either side of motorways to block the noise and soak up the pollution. I suppose if the road were to be widened, some of that would have to be bulldosed down and extended further back (in an ideal world). Those margins are good places for wildlife who seem on the face of it to be oblivious to the noise.

Visibility at motorway exit roundabouts - Engineer Andy

Indeed. Actually, I think that motorway roundabouts are way safer than dual carriageway ones, and those I mean are those without the roundabout over or below the main road, because so many road users barely slow down because they are still 'on' the main road.

Visibility at motorway exit roundabouts - Terry W

You will all be relived to know that that Highways England have come up with a 166 page document on the Geometric Design of Roundabouts.

https://www.standardsforhighways.co.uk/ha/standards/dmrb/vol6/section2/cd116.pdf

It is quite clear that they regard screening to reduce visibility as a key control in limiting excess speed in joining a roundabout. Enjoy!

You will all be relived to know that that Highways England have come up with a 166 page document on the Geometric Design of Roundabouts.

https://www.standardsforhighways.co.uk/ha/standards/dmrb/vol6/section2/cd116.pdf

It is quite clear that they regard screening to reduce visibility as a key control in limiting excess speed in joining a roundabout. Enjoy!

Thats fine, at least everyone who has to slam the anchors on and take evasive action because lorries with barely 10bhp per ton can't move quickly now knows who to blame for these wondrous designs features.

Visibility at motorway exit roundabouts - martin.mc

Thank you for your comments. I am happy to slow down on exit slip roads then stop at the roundabout. However it would be useful if the slip road met the roundabout at 90 degrees then I could see approaching traffic by looking out of the drivers side window. Too simple for road planners though.

Visibility at motorway exit roundabouts - Gerry Sanderson

I agree with the above ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Shocker at the end of the slip road A 19/A168 northbound at South Kilvington where I had a need miss from vehicle coming down the curved slip from my right. If you take up normal traffic flow up to white line then nigh on impossible to see despite craning your neck. Only solution is to right angle to the road ahead which makes it hard for those behind to understand

dvd