D Day - concrete

The moving stories told by actual participants were the most revealing part of the whole commemoration ceremony. I supposed there are some on the forum, like me who are of an age that their parents were involved in the war effort with the armed forces. My Father was in the RAF from 1932-1958. His elder brother was in the Army. Royal Signals attached to the Green Howards, and he went ashore with the first wave on D Day. He survived but hardly ever some about it..We managed to glean snippets of information over the years, usually when we had a family gathering and drink was taken. Being Scottish that was often and gregariously. My father always said, when asked by me or others in the family, that too many good men died to glorify the subject. For me the most impressive aspect is the quiet dignity with which they did their duty and accepted it as part of the process of war. Then modestly refused to glory in the victorious outcome. I am sorry to say we shall not see their like again. For my Father and other uncles, and all who served during the war. Thank you.

Cheers Concrete

D Day - sammy1

Yes like you my dad served in the South Wales Borderers and was wounded twice in different conflicts including Dunkirk where he was wounded by shrapnel in the face. He returned to action twice after and the torment of going back must have been great. He fought his way through and up into Germany for the surrender. Like your dad the children gleamed little of the conflict only the good stories such as the one when he was on leave and brought a platoon prisoner home to be returned to barracks at Brecon. Needless to say they went out drinking got detached but the prisoner was on the station to met him the next morning to face the music.

Picture the scene today in view of all the D day acts of valour School teachers needing councillors over parent protests re teaching their children about gay relationships!

D Day - Avant

Most of us who are the baby-boom generation were born to parents who were involved one way or another in WW2. And the real heroes almost invariably would say 'we were just doing our job'. My father was a career naval officer who nearly drowned when HMS Courageous was sunk, but then went on to serve as 'Commander Flying' on aircraft carriers in the Battle of the Atlantic. My mother was a wartime Wren officer, so it was naval service that brought my parents together.

But even when all the old heroes are dead, we must go on remembering. To remember them, as on occasions like this and on Remembrance Sunday, is to commemorate their sacrfice, and it doesn't glorify war. I think Remembrance Sunday needs to move to a wider celebration of all who served, including those who came back (without them my generation wouldn't be here). They didn't give their lives, but they risked them, and made all manner of sacrifices, if not the ultimate one, in doing so.

D Day - concrete

Nice sentiments chaps. It is difficult to impart and describe the strength of character displayed by most of that generation. Thankfully the following generations have not had to endure such trials so cannot fully understand them. Life moves on and so do people but I hope we never forget this lesson that was handed down to us by our forebears.

Cheers Concrete