Nissan Micra K12 2005 - Air pressure under oil cap - James Wied

About a month ago whilst driving into town a dry bearing type sound started coming from the engine bay. My initial thought it was the water pump on its way out as it sounded just like a similar noise I had on a Mazda many years ago.

Took it to my local garage and they said all the pumps and belt pulleys where fine but that both belts where very worn and shiny so both were replaced. At first all was well until the engine got hot and the noise started again, unfortunately I was on a long drive so had to carry on. The noise does not come on when cold.

Took it back to the garage and they investigated again but found nothing wrong with the pumps and pulleys etc. This time though they found that when removing the oil filler cap there was a huge pressure behind the cap as if opening a bottle of pop. Once removed the noise stopped and when replaced the noise started once more.

Unfortunately they ran out of time to go further, so car has to go back next week. Can anybody throw light on this and where the dry bearing noise is coming from...? My mate thinks its a breather pipe blockage, where is this pipe so I can have a look myself and save some money. Are there any valves in there ?

Edited by James Wied on 16/04/2019 at 13:39