Any - New MOT – May 2018 - RaineMan

I read an article that said that if your car failed the MOT after introduction of the revised MOT in two weeks you will not be able to drive it away for any reason whatsoever even if there is a month on the old certificate. Does this mean that you cannot drive it either home or to another garage for repair, even if only a short distance is involved? It also raises the issue about MOT only test centres. I have used them a number of times. On two occasions it was because garages came up with a long list of issues which needed attention (job creation). In one case the car went straight through and in the other only one minor repair (small plate near a seat belt mounting) was needed. If a MOT Centre does not/cannot do repairs what happens – the place will be clogged with MOT failures within weeks.

Any - New MOT – May 2018 - Auristocrat

As far as i was aware if you have an MOT done early and the car fails, the failure supersedes the remainder of any existing MOT

Any - New MOT – May 2018 - daveyjp
From DVSA.

If a vehicle does fail an MOT (be that for major and/or dangerous defects) then, as now, its current MOT will still be valid until expiry. However, as now, it will still not be legal to drive if it is ‘unroadworthy’.
Any - New MOT – May 2018 - Auristocrat

DVSA quoted to the contrary in a recent Auto Express article.

Any - New MOT – May 2018 - badbusdriver

DVSA quoted to the contrary in a recent Auto Express article.

They have their own website, you don't have to go by what Auto Express says,

www.gov.uk/government/news/mot-changes-20-may-2018

Seems clear enough?.

But if i am putting my van in for an MOT early, as i did on the 1st of this month (due on the 14th) then i'd be getting anything it needed doing done anyway, so i don't really see any issue.

Any - New MOT – May 2018 - NARU

DVSA confirmation that the previous MOT remains valid.

https://mattersoftesting. blog. gov. uk/how-the-new-mot-defect-categories-will-work/#comment-30250

https://mattersoftesting. blog. gov. uk/how-the-new-mot-defect-categories-will-work/#comment-30207