Honda Jazz - Jazz manual gearbox. - argybargy

Going to see another Jazz tomorrow: a 13 plate ES manual with 13k on the clock.

Unlike the situation prior to our purchase of the dear old Powershift, I've been doing some research prior to viewing and driving the car.

I've been reading about a weakness in the Jazz manual gearbox with some models (I think HJ mentions this too in his review of the Mk 2 Jazz).

Apparently there was a requirement for a gearbox oil change within the first 12 months to get rid of accumulated swarf, and if this was not done internal components could suffer damage.

I wondered whether anyone had heard of this, and in particular whether any of our resident Jazz owners have had any issues or know anything about them. Also whether anyone has read about and can confirm that Honda extended their warranty on the gearbox of affected cars to seven years. I've no idea whether this problem included cars of 13 plate vintage because most of the comments I've read about the topic seem to relate to older cars.

I REALLY don't want to go through all that "clutch/ gearbox/warranty/ will they/ won't they fix it at their expense" malarkey again.

Naturally when we test drive the Jazz tomorrow I'll be listening for any gearbox noise.

Ta muchly.

Honda Jazz - Jazz manual gearbox. - SLO76
The Mk I Jazz was quite prone to thrust bearings failing but as far as I’ve noticed to date the Mk II is pretty much vice free other than the occasional worn clutch but that’s more down to the age of the typical Jazz owner than the car itself. No offence ab...
The Mk I Jazz was quite prone to thrust bearings failing but as far as I’ve noticed to date the Mk II is pretty much vice free other than the occasional worn clutch but that’s more down to the age of the typical Jazz owner than the car itself. No offence ab...

None taken, obviously, and thanks for the observations.

I'd have run a mile from a car like the Jazz 20 years ago...now a combination of pedestrian progress and bad-back-favouring ride comfort seems like bliss on four wheels.

Edited by argybargy on 18/01/2018 at 22:27

Honda Jazz - Jazz manual gearbox. - daveyK_UK

Not heard of any issues with the Mark 2.

I did drive one once (12 plate) which was difficult to control the clutch as it was high, I would put it down to lots of dirferent drivers riding the clutch as it was a courtesy car

Honda Jazz - Jazz manual gearbox. - madf

I believe the issue was resolved before the Mark2 in 2012. (Mine is a CVT so not relevant)

Honda Jazz - Jazz manual gearbox. - Avant

Make sure you get a good long test drive in the Jazz to ensure you're comfortable. SWMBO had one of the first Jazzes in 2002 and the seat wasn't very good - not enough lumbar support.

It has probably improved by now, and anyway we're all different shapes and sizes.

Thanks again, all.

We're almost the owners of a 13 plate, 13k miles Jazz 1.4 ES manual with full main dealer history, and we'll be picking it up a week from now, with luck.

Bit of a palaver over the part ex price which I won't go into now, but I didn't push the issue too far because we were keen to leave the Story of Powershift behind.

Had a good long drive and Mrs A confirms that the comfort and ride quality was to her liking, so we did the deal.

In some ways I'll be sorry to see the B Max go, but with the end of manufacturer's warranty looming five months from now I just couldn't take the chance that the new clutch would last through our ownership of the car beyond that point. Lesson learned, expensively.

Many further thanks for all the great advice.

Honda Jazz - Jazz manual gearbox. - badbusdriver

Glad to hear it argy, hope it serves you well!

Honda Jazz - Jazz manual gearbox. - Bianconeri
We ran an early Mark 2 EX as the office hack for a long time with zero problems. It was the office manager’s company car and when she left we never replaced her but kept the car!

Everyone used it but no one cleaned it! Servicing was done on the dot and we sold it with 100k up to a friend of one of the staff. To my knowledge he still has it.

Utterly bomb proof in my experience. I quite liked it.