Huge Mess - Finace and car insurance - simple_ways

My friend bought a car on finance last year. His GF fell pregnant almost immeditaely and they decided to move in together which meant he couldnt afford to pay for the vehicle. He made agreement to give me full access to the vehicle as long as i paid his installments and lump sum at end of term. at that point he woud transfer car to my name.
i then insurred the vehicle on my name and i think (cant recall exactly) i said i was the legal owner and keeper of the vehicle or that i will be.
ive now had an accident and i dont know if the insurance will pay me.
can someone advise where i stand please

Huge Mess - Finace and car insurance - RobJP

Where do you stand ?

Up to your neck in ... well, it doesn't smell very sweet.

I suspect you need to get professional legal advice. The sort you pay for. And sharpish.

Huge Mess - Finace and car insurance - SLO76
Did you fill in the V5 and register yourself as keeper? If not then you should've informed the insurance firm at the time that you weren't the registered keeper. Insurers will use any excuse to reduce or refuse a claim so everything should be done by the book.
Huge Mess - Finace and car insurance - oldroverboy.

My friend bought a car on finance last year. His GF fell pregnant almost immeditaely and they decided to move in together which meant he couldnt afford to pay for the vehicle. He made agreement to give me full access to the vehicle as long as i paid his installments and lump sum at end of term. at that point he woud transfer car to my name.
i then insurred the vehicle on my name and i think (cant recall exactly) i said i was the legal owner and keeper of the vehicle or that i will be.
ive now had an accident and i dont know if the insurance will pay me.
can someone advise where i stand please

You have left yourself open to all sorts of problems in trying to help a friend. The 3rd party will get their damage repaired if it is your fault, but if not you might be lucky if nobody asks too closely. but if the car is a writeoff th situation could get sticky, and again your friend will have to deal with the finance company. Do you have that agreement in writing? Is the registration document in your name? Was the question Are you the registered keeper?