Audi A3 2.0 TDi - EGR valve, now boost pressure sensor - SoggyMoggy

I had the 189 software fix applied to my car in November and had problems with it within a month.

I got two engine warning lights on my dashboard and the car would go into limp mode. This was quite intermittent at first and the next morning the lights had disappeared and the car worked as normal for a week or so. I didn't want to pay Audi silly money to diagnose it so I asked the local garage to look at it during the MOT in March. They diagnosed and EGR valve, but they couldn't source a part for 6-8 weeks as "Audi know about a problem with their 189 software fix that causes this". I took the car to Audi and they repaired it the next day for free.

A week later the car lost power over 2400 rpm, there were no warning lights but this wasn't intermittent. I dropped the car off at Audi and the next day they called to tell me the fault was with the boost pressure sensor and that it would be £210 to fix. I asked if it was linked in any way to the 189 software fix or the EGR replacement and they said that they were 99% sure it wasn't. I told them to fix the car anyway.

After some internet reading I see that the most common reason these fail is that there is a soot build up, just like the EGR valvues. Not only that but I found someone with the exact same complaint as mine after an EGR replacement. They had the boost pressure sensor replaced and the car still had the fault, they took it back in and now say that the new EGR is faulty and needs replacing.

I haven't got the car back yet, it is still with Audi. I will argue about what i have read to see if they will do the work for free again. Does anybody have any thoughts or comments about whether this is likely to be linked?

Edited by SoggyMoggy on 18/04/2017 at 11:32

Audi A3 2.0 TDi - EGR valve, now boost pressure sensor - Railroad.

The EGR valve is a valve. It opens and it closes. That is all. If it opens fully and closes fully and is clean then there cannot be anything else wrong with it. Far more likely is the build up of thick carbon sludge in the air intake restricting air flow, and consequently resulting in an EGR related fault code. Replacing a perfectly functional EGR valve will solve nothing. Your garage is either guessing or failing to understand how the system works and incorrectly interpreting the fault code, as so many garages do.

Audi A3 2.0 TDi - EGR valve, now boost pressure sensor - daveyjp
Its how the flap is opened and closed which is more important than what it is. It will need ECU coding to operate so any remap may cause a problem.
Audi A3 2.0 TDi - EGR valve, now boost pressure sensor - SoggyMoggy

update:

After replacing the turbo boost sensor the Audi garage tell me that the fault still exists. They now want to replace the turbo.

They asked that I should pay for it as it isn't linked in any way to the 189 software upgrade. I did some internet research and found that EGR failures can cause turbo failures - I passed this info back to my contact at Audi and after a word with his manager he has agreed to do the fix for free.

So far after the 189 software fix and the resulting problems with my car, Audi have diagnosed and replaced:

EGR Valve

Turbo Boost Sensor

Turbo

Reading around on the internet I am definitely not the only person with many faults after the 189 software fix.