All - Battery Jacket - Cluedo
Apologies if this has been asked before but cars today and from many years back all seem to have some type of insulation jacket on their 12v batteries under the bonnet.
Why is this ?
Is it to keep it warm, insulate it from the engine bay heat or a bit of both and just maintain it at a constant temp ?
Cheers
All - Battery Jacket - SLO76
Combination of protecting the battery and making the engine bay look neater same as the engine cover most cars come with today. Looks all ultra hi tech until you remove the cover to reveal the old smoker below.
All - Battery Jacket - bathtub tom

I recall some old Jags had a small fan for the battery compartment.

All - Battery Jacket - RT
Combination of protecting the battery and making the engine bay look neater same as the engine cover most cars come with today. Looks all ultra hi tech until you remove the cover to reveal the old smoker below.

It seemed to start when turbo-diesels started gaining ground, on some models with the jacket round the battery only on the diesels - although none of my cars have ever had it but my son's Vectra-C CDTi has one.

My present has an AGM battery under the passenger seat.

All - Battery Jacket - skidpan

Some of the jackets are made of a material that absorbs and neutralises acid spills. Considering most (if mot all) batteries are sealed these days such material is probably irrelevant.

All - Battery Jacket - TedCrilly

Absorbent glass mat (AGM) type batteries of the type employed in today's stop-start systems can be sensitive to overheating. Consequently the design trend is to locate the battery away from the engine compartment to avoid heat, ie. in the boot, under the seats etc. Where this is not possible some sort of barrier or shielding is the next best compromise.

All - Battery Jacket - Andrew-T

It will also prevent accidental shorting of the terminals by metal objects ....