CONTINUOUS INSURANCE: What is it and how does it affect me?


Continuous Insurance becomes compulsory from June 2011.

It compels the owner to insure his car continuously even if it is temporarily unused.

The new vehicle insurance law means that the registered keeper of a vehicle must keep it insured unless they've made a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification). If you're not insured and haven't made a SORN, you could face a penalty.

The new vehicle insurance law - don't be caught out

Stay insured - stay legal

If you're the registered keeper of a vehicle, it must be insured at all times.

The only exceptions are:

  • if you have made a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) for the vehicle
  • vehicles that have been kept off-road since before SORN came into force on 31 January 1998 - unless they are brought back into use

From the end of June 2011 Insurance Advisory Letters (IAL) will be issued to the registered keepers of uninsured vehicles.

If a vehicle is with a repairer for an extended period, either a SORN can be made or the repairer can add the vehicle to his list of vehicles covered on his trade insurance held by MID. You can check of yoruj registration is recorded as insured at AskMID

A vehicle can also have no insurance if it:

1) Is between keepers and is kept off public roads. (Clear risk if sustains any damage in the interim period, but solves problem of "bridging insurance" if you still have and run your outgoing vehicle on existing policy.

2) is recorded as stolen and not recovered by the police.

3) is scrapped

4) is held in stock off the road by an authorised motor dealer (if on the road then it must be declared as stock to the trader's insurer).


More at Direct/Continuous Insurance



Value my car