Mazda 2 (2007–2015)
- March 2007: New Mazda2 unveiled
- September 2007: On sale in UK
- December 2007
- February 2008
- May 2008
- October 2008
- January 2009
- April 2009
- June 2010
- August 2010: Upgrade announced for 2011
- October 2010
- February 2011
- June 2011
- December 2011
- February 2013
- November 2013
- February 2014: Colour Edition models introduced
- February 2014: Mazda2 Sport Venture introduced
- January 2015: Run-out 'Black' and 'White' editions of 2007 - 2014 Mazda 2 announced.
New Mazda2 unveiled
Launched initially with two petrol engines: the MZR 1.3-litre DOHC (75PS and 118Nm or 84PS and 121Nm) and MZR 1.5-litre DOHC (103PS and 136Nm), both chain cam. For the European market, a fuel-effcient, belt cam MZ- CD PSA 1.4-litre diesel engine was introduced a few months later. Quite low weight at 954kg for 1.3. The 1.3-litre DOHC and 1.5-litre DOHC MZR petrol engines each have a sequential valve timing system and optimized exhaust-valve timing, which together realize superior cylinder-charging effciency at all engine speeds.
On sale in UK
Three-strong petrol range at launch to be priced from £8,499 (on-the-road). Thatcham Category 1 alarm and immobiliser as standard for all models. Three-strong model line-up with a choice of three petrol powertrains and three equipment levels (TS, TS2 and Sport).
Standard equipment on the 1.3-litre, 75ps/121Nm Mazda2 TS price £8,499 includes: 15-inch steel wheels, ABS with Brake Assist and EBD, driver and front passenger airbags, remote central locking with deadlocks, electric front windows, driver seat height adjust, CD radio with AUX jack and two speakers, multi-function glovebox with magazine rack, Thatcham Category 1 alarm and immobiliser and electric door mirrors. 52.3mpg. 104mph. 129g/km CO2. VED Band C.
The Mazda2 TS2 with 1.3-litre, 86ps/122Nm petrol engine priced from £9,999 (OTR) has: 15-inch alloy wheels, side and curtain airbags, electric folding door mirrors, four audio speakers, steering wheel-mounted audio controls, leather steering wheel and gear knob and air?conditioning. 52.3mpg. 129g/km CO2. VED Band C.
The Mazda2 Sport, with a 1.5-litre 103ps/137Nm engine and full sports styling kit is priced from £11,799 (OTR). This has 16-inch alloy wheels, dynamic stability control, traction control, cruise control, fog lights, rain sensing wipers and auto lights, electric rear windows, trip computer, speed alarm, six audio speakers and climate control air-conditioning. 117mph. 140g/km. VED Band C.
The all-new Mazda2 petrol range was joined by a 1.4-litre 68ps/160Nm, 65mpg diesel engine in early 2008 The 1.4-litre 68ps diesel was available with a choice of two equipment levels TS and TS2 and will include the same specification as the petrol models.
3,885mm x 1,695mm x 1,475mm.
1.4 diesel available to order from December 2007 with delivery from March 2008, price from £9,499. 1.4-litre, 68ps diesel achieves 65.7mpg and a 114g/km CO2 rating, so £35PA tax.
Three-door version launched Geneva Motor Show March 2008. 3-door 1.3 petrol and 1.4 diesel on sale UK from May 2008. 1.5 3-door from July.
New Mazda2 Price List May 2008
Price List 3dr
1.3 TS 3-dr 75PS £7,999 129g/km IG 3E
1.3 TS2 3-dr 86PS £9,509 129g/km IG 4E
1.5 Sport 3-dr 103PS £11,399 140g/km IG 5E
1.4D TS 3-dr 68PS £8,999 114g/km IG 3E
1.4D TS2 3-dr 68PS £10,504 114g/km IG 3E
Price List 5dr
1.3 TS 5-dr 75PS £8,499 129g/km IG 3E
1.3 TS2 5-dr 86PS £10,009 129g/km IG 4E
1.5 Sport 5-dr 103PS £11,899 140g/km IG 5E
1.4D TS 5-dr 68PS £9,499 114g/km IG 3E
1.4D TS2 5-dr 68PS £11,004 114g/km IG 3E
Mazda2 New Turbo Diesel & Vehicle Updates. Engine line-up is expanded with a range-topping MZ-CD 1.6-litre common-rail diesel that, when combined with Mazda2s lightweight body and outstanding steering and suspension, means performance and driving fun with low fuel consumption. (6th photo.) This engine produces 90 PS of maximum power and 205 Nm of torque at only 2,000 rpm, while using just 4.2 litres of fuel per 100 km (CO2: 112 g/km combined). Several exterior and interior updates are also added to the line-up for more quality feel, including a new Sports Appearance Package, two new exterior colours and silver accents with new trim, seat materials and meters on the inside.
Mazda2 1.3 Tamura three-door and five-door announced. Based on the 86PS 1.3 TS2 model and benefits from the addition of a Sports Styling Pack (including front and rear sports bumpers, 2-bar sports grille, side skirts and rear spoiler), new four cylinder headlamps, unique 16-inch dark grey alloy wheels, special Tamura badging and free metallic/mica or pearlescent paint.
Choice of four colours unique Aluminium Metallic or Radiant Ebony Mica, plus either Aurora Blue Mica (for the 5dr model) or Crystal White Pearlescent. Inside, branded Tamura floor mats are fitted. Both Mazda2 Tamuras offer 54.3mpg on the combined cycle and emissions of just 125 g/km. Mazda2 1.3 3dr Tamura £10,275, 5dr at £10,775.
1.6 Diesel Sport on sale. Unique blend of performance (0-to-60mph in 11.1sec) and economy (67.3mpg). Ultra-low CO2 rating of 112g/km qualifies for £35 VED.
Mazda2 Diesels Price List May 2009
1.4D TS2 68PS 3-dr: £11,153, 107g/km CO2, VED Band B, IG 3E
1.6D Sport 90PS 3-dr: £12,817, 112g/km CO2, VED Band C, IG 5E
1.4D TS2 68PS 5-dr: £11,653, 107g/km CO2, VED Band B, IG 3E
1.6D Sport 90PS 5-dr: £13,317, 112g/km CO2, VED Band C, IG 5E
Mazda2 Takuya Priced from £11,915 (OTR), the 1.3-litre Mazda2 five-door Takuya is the entry point into the special edition range. The Takuya boasts 16-inch alloy wheels, a sports styling kit (incorporating spoiler, sports bumpers and side skirts) and front fog lights. The interior benefits from black sports trim, trip computer, leather steering wheel and gear knob, steering wheel remote audio controls and a Parrot Bluetooth® hands-free kit.
The 1.3 Mazda2 (86ps) is a remarkably frugal yet feisty model. The hatchback produces just 125g/km CO2 and returns 54.3mpg, yet is one of the finest handling and fun to drive superminis on sale in the UK.
Upgrade announced for 2011
* New front styling features Mazda's unique family face
* Upgraded interior
* Upgraded Euro V compliant powertrain line-up
* Upgraded chassis for even better ride comfort
* Automatic transmission version introduced
The Tamura has the 1.3 TS2 engine and also the Dynamic Stability and Traction Control previously only on the SPORT model.
Updated diesel certified at 67mpg, and 110 g/km of CO2 (combined). Bodyshell and suspension updates provide an even more comfortable and smooth ride. All powertrains have been upgraded to comply with Euro5 regulations. The powertrain line-up includes three petrol engines ranging from two 1.3-litre derivatives with 75 PS and 84 PS, to a 1.5-litre with 102 PS and a more powerful and economic 1.6-litre turbo diesel engine with 95 PS (up by 5 PS) and 205 Nm. This uses just 4.2 litres of fuel and produces just 110 grams of CO2 per 100km combined.
Upgraded Mazda2 2010 - Exterior Features
- New Mazda family face introduced for a sportier more dynamic look
- Two body styles – five-door hatchback and sporty three-door hatchback
- Two all new exterior colours: Aquatic Blue Mica and Burgundy Red Mica (range of up to 11 exterior colours available, depending on market)
- New dynamic 16-inch alloy wheels and 15-inch steel wheel cover designs
- Sport version* including side skirts and a rear roof spoiler
- New instrument design with black background, white numeration and silver rings
- New piano-black mouldings in centre stack and dashboard for improved quality look and feel
- New durable materials introduced for surfaces of the centre stack used on a daily basis
- New, higher-quality seat fabrics and fabric colours
Bodyshell and Suspension Updates
- Bodyshell and suspension updates improve overall ride comfort:
- New shape of the rear wheel-house gussets with added spot welds at this location
- Optimised firmness of front suspension bushes at the rear of the lower arms toe angle consistency, which improves ride comfort without detracting from handling stability
- New, softer rear suspension trailing-arm bushes that reduce roughness when passing over expansion cracks in the road
- Optimised elastic components between the upper and lower mountings and the bump stoppers so that the rear suspension can better handle a variety of different vibrations
- All petrol engines and the diesel engine are updated to be Euro 5 compliant**
- MZR 1.3 Standard Power produces 75ps at 6,000rpm and 119 Nm of torque at 3,500rpm. Uses approx. 2 percent less fuel (5.1 l/100 km combined) and produces approx. 5 percent less CO 2 (119g/km)
- MZR 1.3 High Power produces 84ps at 6,000rpm and 121 Nm of torque at 3,500rpm. Uses approx. 2 percent less fuel (5.1 l/100 km combined) and produces approx. 5 percent less CO 2 (119g/km)
- MZR 1.5 with five-speed manual transmission produces 102ps at 6,000rpm and 133 Nm of torque at 4,000rpm. Uses 5.8 l/100 km (combined) and produces 135g/km of CO 2 (combined)
- Gearing across the 2 nd -to-5 th ratios are raised by between 7.7 percent and 5.7 percent with the final drive ratio unchanged
- MZR 1.5 with new four-speed automatic transmission produces 102ps at 6,000rpm and 133 Nm of torque at 4,000rpm. Uses 6.3 litres of fuel* (combined) and produces 146g/km of CO 2 * (combined)
- Upgraded MZ-CD 1.6 Euro 5 compliant common-rail turbo diesel engine produces 95ps (+ 5ps) at 3,800rpm and, 205 Nm of torque at 1,750 - 3,000rpm. Uses approx. 2 percent less fuel than the outgoing diesel (4.2 l/100 km combined*) and produces less CO 2 (only 110g/km*)
- MZR 1.3 Standard Power produces 75ps at 6,000rpm and 119Nm of torque at 3,500rpm. Uses approx. 2 percent less fuel with (5.1 l/100km combined) and produces approx. 5 percent less CO 2 (119g/km)
- MZR 1.3 High Power produces 84ps at 6,000rpm and 121Nm of torque at 3,500rpm. Uses approx. 2 percent less fuel (5.1 l/100km combined) and produces approx. 5 percent less CO 2 (119g/km)
- MZR 1.5 five-speed manual transmission produces 102ps at 6,000rpm and 133Nm of torque at 4,000rpm. Consumes 5.8 l/100km (combined) and produces 135g/km of CO 2 (combined)
- MZR 1.5 now available with smooth-shifting four-speed ‘Activematic’ transmission*. This model uses 6.3 litres of fuel (combined) and produces 146g/km of CO 2 (combined)
Upgraded Mazda2 2010 – Technical Specifications
|Model name||MZR 1.3
|Engine type||Inline, 4-cylinder, DOHC, 16-valve|
|Bore x stroke||Mm||74.0 x 78.4|
|Valves||4 per cylinder|
|Fuel injection system||Electronically controlled fuel injection|
|Compression ratio||10.0 : 1|
|Emission control system||Electrically controlled with catalyst|
|Max. Power||kW/PS||55 / 75 at 6,000 rpm||62 / 84 at 6,000 rpm|
|Max. Torque||Nm||119 at 3,500 rpm||121 at 3,500 rpm|
|Fuel type||Unleaded 95RON|
|Fuel tank capacity||l||42.8|
|Battery||75D23L /12 V||75D23L/12 V
Following the success of the ‘Takuya Special Edition Range' introduced in mid-2010 for a limited period, Mazda is launching five 2011 ‘Takuya' models across the Mazda2, Mazda3 and Mazda6 line-ups with a total production volume of 3,894 units.
Standard Equipment Mazda2 Takuya
- 16 inch alloy wheels
- Sports styling kit including: rear spoiler and side skirts
- New rear bumper sports trim
- Sports headlights
- Front fog lights
- Black sports trim, black out meter set
- Rear electric windows
- Trip computer
- Parrot Bluetooth hands-free kit - MKi9000
- Steering wheel remote audio controls
- Leather steering wheel and gear shift knob
- Body-coloured, heated and folding electric mirrors
- Side and curtain airbags
- Body-coloured door handles
Mazda Takuya models / Price List - February 2011
'On the road'
Mazda2 1.3 5-dr
Mazda3 1.6 5-dr
Mazda6 2.0 5-dr
Mazda6 2.2D 5-dr
Mazda6 2.2D Estate
Mazda in Japan has put its first Sky Activ petrol engine into a new model, the Mazda 2, to bring its emissions below 100g/km CO2. The 1.3-litre petrol unit should deliver around 85mpg thanks to a new seven-speed CVT gearbox, very high compression ratio, a dual sequential valve timing system, new six-hole injectors, much reduced internal friction and a new stop-start system. Mazda has also included a system called i-DM, similar to Fiat's Blue&Me setup, which shows how the car is being driven and indicates how it can be driven more economically. This Mazda 2 isn't yet set for sale in the UK and other European markets.
Reductions in CO2 mean less BIK for company car drivers. CO2 of Mazda2 manual 1.5-litre petrol engine models reduced from 135g/km to 132g/km, placing them in the 16 percent company car BIK tax bracket (previously 17 percent) in 2011/12. In addition, CO2 has reduced from 119g/km to 115g/km on all 1.3-litre models, whilw the 1.5-litre automatic drops from 146g/km to 145g/km.
Mazda 2 Venture Edition announced. On sale now, the enhanced Mazda2 Venture Edition five-door hatchback is priced at £13,295 on-the road (OTR). For 2013, this 84ps, 1.3-litre model gains 16-inch Bright Finish alloy wheels, black mirror housings, rear parking sensors, dusk-sensing lights and rain-sensing wipers, new sporty seat trim with red stitching, two unique exterior colours (Zeal Red Mica and Meteor Grey Mica) and special ‘Venture Edition' badges.
The generous standard specification for this Mazda2 model already includes a sports styling kit, front fog lamps, privacy glass and a rear bumper sports trim. Inside, there are front, side and curtain airbags, leather steering wheel with audio controls, CD radio with Auxiliary jack and four speakers, plus a TomTom navigation with a 5.8-inch touch screen, integrated Bluetooth hands-free kit, climate control air-conditioning and electric rear windows to create a genuine premium car ambience.
Mazda2 Sport 5-door hatchback gained a new-look racing theme including cosmetic changes both externally and internally for the Thai market. This included new front and rear spoilers, sports front grille and projector headlamps and new 16-inch sports alloy wheels. Inside, a new DVD player with a 7-inch touchscreen and Bluetooth connectivity, iPhone/iPod in addition to USB/AUX inputs, and audio controls on the steering wheel. Also offered are chrome door handles and optional 'lifestyle' interior features.
Colour Edition models introduced
The Colour Edition models feature three exterior colours, unique coloration alloy wheels, interior colour-coded design cues and generous levels of equipment – priced from £11,745 on-the-road.
The Colour Edition and Sport Colour Edition, will be limited to a production run of 1,000 units each. Inside, they feature a numbered sticker on the dashboard colour-coded to match the exterior paint, plus exterior badges on the front wings and tailgate.
Powered by Mazda’s 1.3-litre 75ps petrol engine, the Colour Edition has 11 items of additional equipment (over the SE Air Con model), including 15-inch dark grey alloy wheels, privacy glass and Jet Black door mirror housings and rear spoiler. Inside there is black seat trim with red piping, a leather steering wheel with remote audio controls, gloss dark grey inserts to the steering wheel and audio panel, Parrot Bluetooth handsfree and body-colour door trim and outer air vents louvres.
The Sport Colour Edition is fitted with the more powerful 1.3-litre 85ps engine and is equipped with 11 extra equipment items above the Colour Edition model. The enhanced specification adds 16-inch dark grey alloy wheels, Sports styling kit, Sports headlamps and front fog lights. The cabin boasts a new state-of-the-art 6.1-inch Mazda Navigation System with integrated Bluetooth, a trip computer, leather gear knob, electric rear windows, two additional audio speakers and an adjustable speed alarm, plus side and curtain airbags.
Mazda2 Sport Venture introduced
The 1.3-litre 85PS Mazda2 Sport Venture model is an addition to the range (based on the Tamura) and is equipped with 13 extra equipment items, adding external features such as 16-inch Bright alloy wheels, front fog lights, dusk-sensing lights, rain-sensing front wipers and rear parking sensors. Inside, there’s sporty black cloth trim with contrasting grey stitching, a leather steering wheel with gloss dark grey inserts, gloss dark grey trim to the audio panel, door trims and outer air vents, electric rear windows and climate control air-conditioning. This model is priced at £13,395.
Run-out 'Black' and 'White' editions of 2007 - 2014 Mazda 2 announced.
On sale on January 1 2015 priced at £12,145 on-the-road. Choice of Jet Black Mica or Crystal White Pearlescent exterior colours, bespoke, diffuser-style rear bumper trim, Jet Black rear spoiler, power-operated, heated folding door mirrors, rear privacy glass, 15-inch Dark Grey alloy wheels, unique Black Edition and White Edition badging, and the no-cost option of striking, colour-coded bonnet and roof stripe graphics. Body-coloured accents to the door trim and air vents, black cloth upholstery with red piping, glossy Dark Grey audio panel and steering wheel inserts. Manual air-conditioning, a CD player with two speakers, USB and AUX connectivity and a no-cost option steering wheel-integrated Bluetooth ® hands-free system.
1.3-litre 75ps petrol engine, 5-speed manual transmission. And both urban and open-road safety standards are enhanced by the addition of Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) and a Traction Control System (TCS).
Improved finance offer. All models are now available with Zero deposit, 0% APR* Representative on Mazda Personal Contract Purchase (PCP) and a Deposit Contribution which has been increased from £500 to £750, over a maximum term of 42 months.
The line-up is also available with 0% APR* Conditional Sale with a minimum deposit of 30%, with a maximum term of three years, or 5.9% APR* Conditional Sale with no minimum deposit and a maximum term of five years. Both financial offers are available until March 31 2015.
Alternatively, expect to be able to negotiate substantial discounts.