Is it worth doing £1000 worth of work on my 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser?

I have a 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser 2.4 petrol turbo. It has about 80,000 miles on it and is in excellent condition (garaged half of the year). Chrysler recommends a new cambelt at about 100,000 miles, and no doubt I am already overdue on time (it being 12 years old). The problem is, this job will cost close to £1000 as it is labour-intensive and it's suggested that other parts (water pump, engine mount) should be replaced at the same time. Given its age and low value (despite excellent condition), should I just drive it until something breaks or invest another £1000 in it?

Asked on 28 November 2017 by CanAmSteve

People are now starting to customise PT Cruisers to give them the look of a 1940 Ford hotrod, sometimes very successfully. So, if there's no rust, I'd have the job done - realising that what was once a scorned retro car is actually becoming a classic.