I want to keep my Cat N car and fix it - do I need to tell my insurer?

I want to keep my Cat N car and can have it fixed with used parts for less than what the other guy's insurance company will pay me. Do I need to inform my own insurance company?

Asked on 20 November 2017 by Mark

Answered by Tim Kelly
Firstly is your car a total loss? If the repair cost are less than the market value, ask for a cash in lieu settlement at the cost of repair. Should the repair cost be more and it is a Cat N total loss, there is no obligation on you in any way for you to notify your insurer aside from advising you have been involved in an incident.
Similar questions
I have recently been involved in a car accident where I was not at fault. The car's damage, which was mostly done to the front bumper on the driver's side, was reasessed by my insurers and deemed to be...
I have just had my car classed as a Category N Write off due to a small amount of damage on the rear quarter. The insurance has valued the car at £3670 and the value of the repair at £2894. Can I argue...
My car has been deemed a Cat N (uneconomical to repair) but I want to keep my car as my husband bought it before he died. I have been told my excess and salvage cost will be deducted from the settlement...


Value my car