Would a petrol SUV be okay for towing?

I currently have a Volkswagen Tiguan that has been okay on a mixture of short trips and towing a caravan. We've never experienced any DPF issues, but since the emissions fix we have noticed the car regenerating almost every other trip. As this hasn't been the most reliable of cars I've owned, I'm considering changing. Should I go for another diesel, like a Mazda CX-5 or Honda CR-V or do I try to find a petrol alternative?

Asked on 11 October 2017 by Philip hutchins

Tiguan have been a bit troublesome post NOx fix, but Volkswagen is fixing them. Usually they need a new EGR: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volkswagen/tiguan-20...d

For towing, the problem is getting a petrol-engined SUV with enough torque at low revs. You can get a 2.0 TSI in the much better looking new Tiguan: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volkswagen/tiguan-20...6 In theory, JLR's new Ingenium petrol in the Discovery Sport should be enough, but Disco Sports have had more than their fair share of problems: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/land-rover/discovery...0 If sticking to diesel, probably the best way to avoid DPF problems while towing is to get one with a fairly low sixth gear so it passively regenerates. My current Renault Kadjar 1.6 DCI 4WD (4WD essential) pulls 2200rpm at 70mph in sixth, so tugging a caravan at 60mph will still be revving high enough to regenerate. And in 19,250 miles, not a single thing has gone wrong - though I did order it on 17-inch wheels with 215/60 R17 tyres and that's a very wise choice.