My premium doubled after someone falsely claims I hit their car - what should I do?

Someone claims that I hit their car, but I was not in that area. My insurance company is not defending my argument, even though they have inspected my car and found it not to be damaged. My premium has doubled as a result, and they have done nothing after eight months. What should I do?

Asked on 21 August 2017 by

Answered by Tim Kelly
First of all, complain to the insurer and write to their chief exec. Then complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service. Advise your insurer you will sue them for breach of contract if they payout on the claim, as they have caused you financial loss with the increased premium, this is a vexatious claim. Ask your insurer to contact the other party's insurance, requesting evidence to substantiate their claim. I suggest you then see a solicitor to raise a counter claim for the person who is alleging that you hit them and sue for your losses. Can you prove where you and your car were at the time of the incident? If so provide that to your insurer. Also report the fraud to the IFB and IFED:
Similar questions
I've been in France on holiday since 10 July 2017. On 15 August, I received an email from Admiral insurance saying they have been advised of a possible incident on 4 August involving my car, in which a...
My friend returned to his car to find a note saying he had damaged another car in supermarket car park. This was not true, there was no incident. He now finds his premium has gone up as he reported an...
Can insurers triple your premium if a fraudulent claim is pending?

Value my car