What tyres should I replace my 18-inch run flats for a smoother ride?

I must replace the 18-inch run flats on the Mini Countryman Cooper S with something sensible before the car shakes itself to bits crashing around our roads. I would like 16-inch with Goodyear 4 Seasons. Would dropping the size by two inches affect the handling?

It will change the handling. The size will probably be something like 205/55 R16 which is neither too high nor too low. Go for Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen 2 or for Michelin Cross Climate tyres.