Do you have a minute to answer an electric vehicle survey? Start the survey | No thanks

Should you pay to insure a hire car if your own car is being crash repaired?

A female friend, in her first year of driving, had her car damaged in a works carpark by a male colleague. He accepted responsibility and it was agreed that it would be cheaper for both parties if her insurance company was not involved. His insurance company has taken her car away for repair and supplied her with a hire car. She was asked to pay £70 to insure it. Is that how it should be in this instance?

Asked on 29 March 2017 by John Boy

Answered by Tim Kelly
No not normally, but the issue will be with her age at a guess, if she is under the age of 21, they will not want to cover her. Tell her to advise the at fault insurer that if they do not pay for cover for insurance that she will take them to court for any out of pocket expenses. She can do this via claims online.
Similar questions
My friend's 21 year old son had a car accident on the ice last week. His car (a cheap old thing) was a write off, but no one else was involved. The AA driver who came to recover the car advised him not...
My 19 year old son was coming to a junction off our estate and the car in front of him turned left. My son then pulled up to the junction and the car in front, then on the main road, reversed into him...
The boyfriend of my neighbour's daughter damaged my car lightly. As all parties agreed it was minor damage, I said I'd get a quote and we'd get him to pay the repairer on the day, I had him booked in this...

Value my car