Do you have a minute to answer an electric vehicle survey? Start the survey | No thanks

Neighbour scuffed my car and wants insurance involved - what's the best way to get the damage repaired?

The boyfriend of my neighbour's daughter damaged my car lightly. As all parties agreed it was minor damage, I said I'd get a quote and we'd get him to pay the repairer on the day, I had him booked in this Friday. The quote for minor bumper scrape and dimpled wing was with ChipsAway for a reasonable £264, but I am liable if I cancel within 24 hours for 50 per cent. The boyfriend now wants me to get it done and claim off his insurer, I emailed him to explain the value is probably a lot less than his excess and, as a young driver, what little no claims discount he has would be wiped out for years. I believe that I can't do this as an individual and I now need to get my insurers involved (who will likely milk it for all its worth).

Asked on 13 July 2017 by jonnytttt

Answered by Tim Kelly
Did you agree with Chips away via the internet or over the phone? If so, you are covered by distance selling regulations with a 14 day cooling of period. It does not matter what they say, it cannot affect your statutory rights. If you claim off the third party's insurer, he would not have to pay his excess but it would effect his premiums for the next five years much (more than the cost or repair). You can still get it done via Chips Away, then issue a claim via claims online for the £264 against the at fault party and make it his problem:
Similar questions
I saw you mention to someone else that it may be possible to claim for future increases in premiums due to another driver's error. Its been my intention to keep all potentially insurable events a secret...
My wife recently changed her car from a Land Rover Freelander, worth £2000 and insurance group 23, to a Renault Clio, worth £2000 and insurance group 9. When I changed the vehicle on our Admiral insurance...
My husband bumped my Land Rover into a bin. The side door is dented and has a large scrape on. What would be cheaper, to claim on the insurance (I have nine years protected NCD) or pay for the repair independently?

Value my car