A 'no fault' accident has left me without enough insurance money to repair my car - what are my rights?

Having suffered a "No Fault" accident, I cannot get the other driver's insurance company to repair my car. I own a 2002/2003 Volkswagen Passat 2.0-litre petrol saloon from new, with 59,000 miles and have had it fully serviced since then. My car is being valued at £1300 with a repair estimate of £2800. I cannot identify an equivalent car of the same age in the same condition with similar mileage for the £1300 offer. Am I obliged to take a payment that will not allow me to be put back where I was before the accident or to buy a diesel car with 110,000 - 185,000 miles with the potential problems arising from such a car? Do I have any legal rights in this matter?

Asked on 2 February 2017 by Red Barry

Unfortunately, legally, all the other party's insurer has to do is "put you back in the position you were in before the damage was done" and that has been interpreted by the County Courts as simply paying you "market value" for the car. If you want a full explanation or want to fight this, contact tim.kelly@motorclaimguru.co.uk