Best new or used family car for £13,000?

My wife unfortunately managed to write off her Volkswagen Golf today. We need to buy a new family car quickly and can spend up to about £13,000. We know very little about cars. We live near a Motorpoint car supermarket. Are these type of huge operations reputable? Do you have any general thoughts or suggestions on which car we should buy?

Asked on 30 November 2016 by Adam Gray

For £13k you can buy two new Dacia Sanderos, one new FIAT Tipo, or your could buy a two year old Golf. Take a look at Motorpoint but bear in mind you do not have to buy used.