Buying a used executive hatch - 1 Series of A3?

I was about to buy a 2013 BMW 116d when I noticed the dealer also had a 2013 Audi A3 2.0 TDI for a little more money and 10,000 more miles than the BMW.
Both cars don't have too many faults reported on your reviews; however, the Volkswagen Golf does which I guess shares its tech with the A3. Purely in terms of reliability and repair costs, which car is best?

Asked on 21 October 2016 by J. Edwards

The latest EA288 2.0 diesel engine in the Audi is still belt cam but is massively improved over the one subject to the emissions defeat device scandal. Though all chain cam, BMWs collectively clock up quite a few problems too. The huge advantage of the BMW will be its 70mpg capability, but there's more feelgood factor about the A3.