Vauxhall Corsa engine warning light is on

I have owned a 1998 Vauxhall Corsa for 12 months. It has done less than 52,000 miles and a few days ago the engine management warning light came when I started the car up. The engine also made some strange noises. The light and noise vanish when the throttle is applied.

The car continues to drive fine, with no impact to its performance. I took it for a drive on a dual carriageway and reached 70mph with no issues. Whilst driving the light came on but at that speed I could not hear the noise but when stationary the noise comes on when the light comes on. What should I do?

Asked on 11 October 2016 by Refik

Can mean all sorts of things and can be erratic. Most likely a dirty lambda sensor or the cat converter starting to fail. Try it on some decent petrol (Shell V-Power) and see if that sorts it out.