Why doesn't Volkswagen do a petrol Passat?

I'm looking at buying a new Volkswagen Passat, however no petrol engines are available and I am a little concerned about the SCR/DPF issues that are frequently highlighted on motoring sites and magazines. I drive 7000 miles a year in urban environments with the exception of one quarterly drive of over 100 miles. Would I be better looking at an alternative petrol fuelled vehicle, due to my driving pattern and known SCR/DPF issues?

Asked on 5 September 2016 by taff 6

The Passat GTE plug-in hybrid has a petrol engine. Bit expensive. Also consider a BMW 330e petrol plug in hybrid and Kia Optima petrol plug-in hybrid.