Emissions Scandal engine update - can I refuse it?

I own a diesel Audi A6 that has been affected by the Emissions Scandal. I get the car serviced later this year I would ideally like to use the main dealer, however I now wish to avoid the risk of them applying the EA189 software fix.

Should I get them to state in writing first they will categorically not apply the fix when the car is serviced, or just avoid the main dealer network completely?

Asked on 30 July 2016 by James176

I don't understand why you want to avoid the software fix. So far I have only heard of two instances of performance being affected and this could have been coincidental due to some other fault having developed that was not compatible with the fix.