Honda CR-V clutch failure - should the dealer pay for the repair?

We bought A Honda CRV 2.2 diesel 18 months ago with 11,000 miles on the clock from a main dealership. Since buying the car we have added 7000 miles, approximately 800 of those towing a caravan (well within the weight limit of the car's capacity).

While towing recently, the clutch suddenly failed with no earlier symptoms such as slipping. Honda say it is due to driver error, no component failure found. The fly wheel is also burned out and Honda have offered us 50 per cent reduction on the cost of the flywheel as a goodwill gesture but accept no responsibility. Is this reasonable?

Asked on 25 July 2016 by Jan Mitchell

I think Honda's offer is as good as you are going to get. Had this happened within six months of purchase, even 2nd hand, you would have a case against the dealer for a fault in the vehicle that pre-existed your purchase of it. As it is, and particularly having towed a caravan, your driving will be deemed to have had at least some effect on the life of the clutch and DMF.