Do you have a minute to answer an electric vehicle survey? Start the survey | No thanks

Box junction penalty charge

I have received a Penalty Charge for stopping in a Hammersmith box junction. Do you have any advice on how to deal with this as I had no option. Freely flowing rush hour traffic stopped unexpectedly I was left stranded.
If London was to base box junctions as a no entry until there is actual physical space on the other side all traffic will come to a standstill. Video evidence shows me stopped in the box but also indicates an unexpected slowing in the traffic.
Am I stuck with payment or is there an reasonable chance of sensible consideration of the circumstances?

Asked on 7 October 2015 by vicmic

That's the problem with box junctions and the law concerning them. You are not supposed to enter them unless your exit is clear. Of course, if every driver stopped at the entrance to a box junction until their exit was clear, traffic in London would grind to a completer halt, so drivers don't do this. It's a Catch 22.