Euro 6 emission standard

According to the website of the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT), all new cars registered from 1 September 2015 will have to meet the Euro 6 emission standard. Is this correct given many new cars currently on sale do not meet this standard ? It is clearly too late to modify these vehicles before 1 September, so can they still be offered for sale as new ?

Asked on 26 August 2015 by Jim Mosley

That's interesting, if true. It means that all of these cars would have to be pre-registered before 1st September, which will generate a significant tax income for the government and could bring a glut of registered but unused EU5s onto the market at the lowest point of the year for used sales. This could mean some very significant EU5 bargains as manufacturers and dealers struggle to achieve cash-flow.