Advice on buying a used Lexus?

I am looking at a 2008 Lexus RX400h with 72000 miles from a Lexus dealer. I assume the hybrid battery and motor will need to be replaced. Could this be done properly by an independent Toyota/Lexus garage? Could they offer a comparable warranty to a lexus dealer?

Asked on 21 August 2015 by zog

There shouldn't be anything wrong with the drivetrain because it is very lightly stressed. But the hybrid battery could be close to end of life and the high cost of replacing this impacts the value of the vehicle. There are various cheaper options for replacing hybrid battery packs but generally you get what you pay for and what you don't want is a replacement pack with only half the life of a new one.