Emergency braking triggered with gently braking

I've just been driving my car and gently pressed the brake to slow from 40mph to 30mph, when I came to a full stop on the road. What could have caused the emergency braking system to trigger with gentle braking? It was a really scary experience luckily the car behind managed to stop before hitting me.

Asked on 31 July 2015 by DD18

We're starting to hear of this occasionally happening with Golf VII and concurrent Leon, Octavia and A3, usually those fitted with active cruise control and City Braking. Back to the dealer who sold it to you.