Skoda Yeti or Suzuki Vitara ?

Which would you choose out of a Skoda Yeti 1.2 TSI and a Suzuki Vitara 1.6 petrol?
It will be used for short low mileage journeys, rare long trips, but will be long term retirement car. I'm trying to decide, including purchase cost, road tax, mpg and long term reliability. Any help very much appreciated

Asked on 16 June 2015 by mike of swansea

Not sure that the Yeti has got the new belt cam 1.2 TSI 110 engine yet, and it is starting to feel a bit old now in terms of trim and fittings. On the other hand, though the Vitara is very competent and rides quite well, it isn't going to win any styling competition unless the judges are all heavily paid off.