What petrol SUV/crossover would you suggest for the best mpg?

We're looking for a petrol automatic SUV/crossover with good mpg and fully spec'd for short daily use, with occasional long journeys. We are looking at the Volkswagen Touareg, Hyundai Tucson and Honda CR-V, but some are diesel only which we are wary of. We are in our sixties and looking for advice and ideas.

Asked on 22 April 2017 by Michael stott

The most economical petrol automatic SUVs seem to be: Honda HR-V 1.5 i-VTEC Automatic 44.2mpg; Suzuki Vitara 1.4 BoosterJet ALLGRIP Automatic 42.3mpg; Mazda CX-3 2.0 120 Automatic 40.0mpg; Peugeot 2008 1.2 Puretech 110 EAT6 39.9mpg; Renault Captur 1.2 TCe EDC 36.9mpg. All the others use more fuel. More contenders in www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg