What caused my 1994 diesel Volkswagen Golf to shudder and the glow plug lamp to light up?

Driving to see a client today and my 1994 Volkswagen Golf CDi juddered and then cleared itself, but the glow plug light flashed on dashboard the whole way home and it seemed to be running a bit flat. When I got back, I turned the engine off and on again and it wasn't flashing. Is this something to worry about?

I don't know. I think that would have happened if it tried to stall for some reason. Get it checked.