I bought a car privately but haven't received my V5 - what do I do?

I bought a car privately in January and I haven't received the paperwork yet to confirm that I am the new owner of the car. I also haven't received the renewal form for my road tax. What do I do?

Asked on 6 July 2010 by gary mcgeoch

Answered by Honest John
You need to urgently get in touch with the DVLA because the change of keepership has obviously not been recorded.
Similar questions
I have an old car in the shed that has not run for 20 years and would like to sell the number plate which has some value. How can I do this?
I have a BSA C15 that was last taxed in 1987 and is not on a SORN. How do I sell the plate?
How can I retain the registration of my vehicle if it is still on the vehicle (in case it is written off)? The DVLA website only seems to deal with transfers or removals.

Ask Honest John

Value my car