Which products have made it into the Honest John Kit gift guides for Christmas 2019? You'll be surprised... | No thanks
Ask a Question

Should I buy extras like shine protection, GAP protection etc for our used car?

My wife is buying a used car from a franchised dealer and, as expected, the sales pitch for various extras was employed. Life shine car protection: £350. Gap protection insurance: £399. Another insurance: £499. Total £1198, or a ‘car pack’ to include all three: £995. What is your opinion on extras such as these in general? I know a few years ago you recommended a car body protector but cannot remember what it was.

Asked on by

200 per cent salesman's commission here. Autoglym Lifeshine is an excellent buy at £150-£200. £350 is too much. GAP insurance can usually be purchased from a broker for £100 - £150.
Similar questions
I am in the process of buying a 2007 Honda CR-V 2.2I -CDTI ES and am being offered GardX Protection for £299 for 8 years and Honda Gap Insurance for £299 for three years. On the face of it, both appear...
I am about to buy a used 2008 Audi A6 Saloon SE Special Edition from a local Audi dealer, who is suggesting that I should have the Autoglym Paint and Exterior Protection. I know that they are charging...
I've just bought a new Hyundai i10 Active auto for £8527. But the salesman wanted me to pay an extra £395 for glass coat paint protection and interior Scotchguard protection and also £395 guaranteed asset...

Ask Honest John

Value my car