Will a 2002 Volkswagen Passat be a reliable buy?

I am wondering about buying a 2002 Volkswagen Passat Estate 4.0 W8, automatic, 91,000 miles, full VWSH. It is advertised at an independent garage for £4995. Is there potentially plenty of life left in it, or is it tired? Are there any history of major faults with this model, such as auto gearbox failure?

It's a very rare car with a few quirks and limited parts availability. Covered briefly here: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volkswagen/passat-w8.../

Much more on the contemporary B5 Passat here: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volkswagen/passat-20.../