Why don't councils clear roadside foliage which obscures road signs?

While driving around Surrey and the South East I notice many direction signs at junctions and roundabouts have the left-hand side of the sign hidden by tree branches and bushes. Is this a nationwide problem? It can create uncertainty for the drivers trying to see the sign. I know councils are strapped for money but the vegetation would only need attention once a year and could prevent accidents.

Asked on 27 October 2012 by FG, Lightwater, Surrey

Yes, it is a nationwide problem. Councils can't simply send a bloke out with a chainsaw to clear the foliage around it because he will have to park his truck and set up traffic lights around the obstruction. That's why roadside foliage is cut all in one go.