Should my used Mazda have been supplied with both ignition keys?

On 20 August, I took delivery of a used Mazda MX-5 from a multi-franchised dealer in Wiltshire. Mazda is not one of Its franchises. I first saw the car two weeks ago and agreed to buy it. I left a £100 deposit, went to the DVLA Bristol and bought a 12-month tax disc.

On 18 August I visited the dealer to check on progress and was told by a junior salesman that there was only one ignition key. I told him that there should be at least two, to which he replied, “There's nothing I can do about that.” Is the dealer obliged to supply two keys?

Asked on 20 October 2012 by GW, Melksham, Wilts.

No, the dealer is not obliged to supply two keys with a used car. The problem is, who has the other key? You can get additional keys from Timpsons or from the locksmiths in this directory. The first two on the list apparently give very good, very fast and very cheap service: www.honestjohn.co.uk/useful-websites/specialists/