BMW 320D Touring or A4 2.0 TDi Avant

I have been running a Passat 2.0 Tdi SE for 5 years, trouble free and doing 25k miles per year. I am now looking to replace it and am considering either a 12/18 month old 320D Touring or (from DriveTheDeal) an new A4 Avant 2.0 TDi (143).

Both are around £22 to £23k. Reliability is important, though neither manufacturer does brilliantly in recent surveys, and my mileage will be dropping to 12k per year (A roads & motorways). I plan to keep the car for about 5 years. Which would you advise? Alternatively would a petrol version be better?

Asked on 4 August 2012 by Giles

You've been lucky with that Passat. The new Audi will keep you warranted for longer than the BMW, but the BMW will probably be easier on diesel and won't need a timing belt change after 4 years.