Ask a Question

I believe my speeding charge is far too harsh - could I argue it in court?

I was recently stopped by an unmarked police car and accused of exceeding a temporary 40mph speed limit on a dual carriageway at 9.45am. I maintained 40mph throughout the road works and accelerated to about 60mph on the last stretch (about 100yds) of 40mph limit and carried on at 70mph. I was issued with a £60 fine three points on my licence, which I believe is too much, just for speeding the small distance. The officer said I can take this matter to court but he had recorded video as proof. On the notice he only mentioned exceeding speed limit as committed offence. Would I be successful at court?

Asked on by

This mean-minded copper's parents obviously were not married. But the answer is almost definitely not. Your best bet is to get on a speed awareness course instead of fine and points, if that is offered to you.
Similar questions
I had my photograph taken on an unfamiliar road in Bournemouth, which for miles had been subject to a 40mph limit but, unnoticed by me, at a junction the limit changed to 30 mph and I was duly clocked...
I'm emailing following a speeding ticket I acquired on the M4 in Wales. I was timed at 4mph over the 50mph limit and received a ticket. I was told I could either attend a course in Wales, saving me points,...
At age 73 and after 57 years without a traffic violation I finally hit the headlines with an "alleged excess speed offence" of 35mph in 30mph zone recorded by a mobile camera device in a leafy suburb of...

Ask Honest John

Value my car