Mad World

Why is the DVLA so difficult to deal with? My driving licence is registered to one of two addresses I live at. I thought for simplicity I would get the licence changed to the address where my insurance is registered, so I sent off the old style licence with a request that the address be changed. Back came the licence with a letter saying if I renewed my passport they would give me a new licence with photo etc., registered to the address I wanted. What nonsense. What’s the passport got to do with it? They also told me I was not breaking the law at all. So I checked with my insurers and they were cool. They said as long as the licence is valid that was ok. Is this bureaucrats going mad? GG, Barnhurst, Kent.

They were actually being helpful. The only kind of new driving licence that can now be issued is a photocard. If you have a recent passport with a biometric photo, the DVLA can obtain your image for your photocard from the Passport Agency. The reason for that is the biometric photo on your passport is already verified. Saves a lot of hassle in getting a qualified person to verify that a photo you send them is you.