Diesel, Hybrid, or other?

I currently drive a 2005 Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 SXI, I'm looking to get a new car and I'm keen to get the best economy possible.

I'm not fussed about aesthetics. Even though I live in a City (cardiff) I commute out of the city for work, around 40 miles per day. I rarely use my car around the city.

So far I've looked at a few diesel options, the Seat Ibiza Ecomotion and Skoda Fabia Greenline and I'm trying to weigh them up against a Toyota Prius. I would note that I'm looking at getting an 08/09 model.

What is the general consensus for the type of driving I do? Is one better suited? Am I looking in the right places?

Asked on 5 May 2011 by xgfx

A used Prius will probably be more reliable than the other two, but the others will be under warranty for 3 years. The Prius will probably do about 50mpg and the 1.2 diesels about 60mpg.