My car has not used for two and a half years, how do I get it back on the road?

Since the beginning of the pandemic I have not been home to Wales. I am going again in September for 3 weeks. What do I need to have done to check the car is in safe nick to drive after all this time?

Asked on 2 August 2022 by Lynn Davies

Answered by Dan Powell
Presumably, the car is on SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification).

You will need to insure the car and then take it for an MoT test. You can drive a car on SORN with no road tax to a pre-booked MoT appointment only.

Before taking the car to the MoT, you should check the tyres are correctly inflated and ensure all of the lights work. If the car doesn't start or there are problems with key safety areas (brakes, steering, suspension, exhaust), you will need to pay for it to be transported to the garage.

After the car has passed the MoT, you can tax it online or over the phone before driving it home again. The SORN will automatically be cancelled when you tax it.
Tags: sorn mot
Similar questions
Can you drive a SORN vehicle on the road to an MoT test appointment?
I declared my car SORN during Covid as I was working from home. Its MoT also ran. Now, I want to tax it and do an MoT. But I can't tax it without an MoT, how can I get an MoT done?
My MoT will expire in a month but I am outside the UK and unable to return in time. The car is parked in a private garage and insured and taxed. Do I need to declare it SORN or can I leave it as is until...

Value my car