My car has not used for two and a half years, how do I get it back on the road?

Since the beginning of the pandemic I have not been home to Wales. I am going again in September for 3 weeks. What do I need to have done to check the car is in safe nick to drive after all this time?

Asked on 2 August 2022 by Lynn Davies

Presumably, the car is on SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification).

You will need to insure the car and then take it for an MoT test. You can drive a car on SORN with no road tax to a pre-booked MoT appointment only.

Before taking the car to the MoT, you should check the tyres are correctly inflated and ensure all of the lights work. If the car doesn't start or there are problems with key safety areas (brakes, steering, suspension, exhaust), you will need to pay for it to be transported to the garage.

After the car has passed the MoT, you can tax it online or over the phone before driving it home again. The SORN will automatically be cancelled when you tax it.
Tags: sorn mot